• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

E. Guittard 72%

alanamoana

I use the E. Guittard 61% Lever du Soleil regularly as it is a good general purpose chocolate with a reasonable price.

It seems that many people like the higher cocoa percentages...around 70% and up. My experience with some of Scharffenberger higher percentage chocolates is that they tend to be "dry" or "tannic". I don't particularly like them (personal taste of course). I've had some similar experience with Valrhona as well, but they are a little better...just a little expensive.

So, I'm wondering if anyone has tried the E. Guittard 72% Cocher du Soleil. I know they also have the single bean varietals, but this particular chocolate is available through www.chefswarehouse.com (otherwise known as Dairyland to the East Coasters). Price is pretty reasonable as well.

How does it taste?

What is the melted consistency like...for tempering purposes, etc?

How about in baked goods?

alanamona,

I liked the 72% "E. G." very much, although the 61% seemed a bit more "chocolate", to my palate!

We had a very good thread about E. Guittard a (few?) years ago now?

I think Steve Klc and maybe Michael Laiskonis addressed the tempering aspects of the 72% but meltwise, it was very nice.

I'll trying to dig it up and link it.

If you can have the 61% on hand as well, don't see where you can go wrong.

2317/5000

Thanks Ted.

Since I'm not working right now, I noticed a promotion in the "Pastry's Best" magazine that offered free shipping with chefswarehouse.com

If I can get them to ship me tons of chocolate for free...what a deal! I just have to figure out what I need. Even their retail prices aren't that much higher than their wholesale prices for the bulk items.

I might get both to compare.

Regards,

alana

I just love the 72%. I was worry that it would be too acidic, as some dark chocolates are. But the person at the shop gave me a sample and it has a very nice flavor. I used it for my holiday candies this year and everyone loved it.

Guittard 61% is better tasting IMO. Its my default chocolate for sauces, mousses, frozen components, ganache and the likes. Although I always ran into problems baking or tempering with it (I really have no idea as to the exact reason why). I had a molten chocolate dome on the menu that worked perfectly with any other chocolate in the 60-70% range, but always fell apart when I used the Guittard. Weird, right?

on valrhona's web site, they have information for each of their chocolates as to their individual suitability to performing in specific situations: molding, ganaches, dipping, baking, etc.

i wish e. guittard had the same information. it is helpful when the producer knows WHY they're creating a specific chocolate...not just to sell :smile:

maybe they need a corporate pastry chef?! i'll apply for the job! hehehe