• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Au Petit Cafe

LordBalthazar

A couple of years ago, before leaving for Hong Kong, our friend David introduced us to a bevy of inexpensive eateries in Vancouver. Being a chef, he seemed to have the inside scoop on all the oft-overlooked hole-in-the-wall establishments that, while perhaps lacking in style in decor, certainly made up for in the quality of the food they served. With David as our guide, we were introduced to Wabi Sabi, Baru, Long's Noodle House, and, what is now our favorite Vietnames restaurant in town, Au Petit Cafe.

Located on Main Street right above 32nd and right next door to Long's Noodle House (review upcoming), it's a small, family-run establishment with some decidedly odd hours. Last time I checked: Open Tuesday to Sunday until 7:00 p.m. Closed Wednesdays. For you late diners, it probably won't be an option, but if you're looking for an early dinner or, more likely, lunch, then do give it a try. It makes what I consider the best Vietnamese sandwiches in town (I'm partial to the #2: home made ham, liver pate, pickled vegetables, and jalapeno peppers served on French sub). If you're planning on ordering them, however, I'd advise going before 2:00 p.m. as they tend to sell out.

Other menu items of note are the pho (a heavenly soup of medium rare beef, onions, cilantro, chopped green onions, and noodles), the lemongrass chicken on rice, the home made meatballs, and a weekend-only special made of "rice pastes" topped with mashed green beans, shredded pork, shrimp, green onions, and fish sauce. Another winner is the house won ton soup that my mother fell in love with when she came to visit over the holidays. She was particularly pleased with the won tons themsleves - nice, thinly-wrapped, juicy morsels. When she comes back into town, there are two places she definitely wants to revsit: Ouzeri, for the lambchops (another review upcoming), and Au Petit Cafe for "the wong tong soup" (in her words). My wife's parrents were also big fans of the soup. My mother-in-law, all 4'10 110 lbs of her, loved it so much, she ordered a second bowl!

Service is prompt and friendly. The places is usually hopping and, to the best of my knowledge doesn't take reservations, so try to get there early or expect a 5-10 minute wait.

www.josephmallozzi.wordpress.com

Vietnamese buns second to none!

Funny I havn't tried the other items on the menu. Making a point to do that next time!

"There are two things every chef needs in the kitchen: fish sauce and duck fat" - Tony Minichiello

I haven't been to Au Petit Cafe in such a long time! I miss their meatball subs... I also really love their "ketchup" beef brisket that came with rice or bread. So tender, with sauce just begging to be mopped up with the soft, crusty bread. I wonder how long they've been open for? Seems like years - I remember when the son used to study for his exams at the counter. Have they gotten rid of that weird mechanical chirpy sound yet?

A few of us recently conducted a critical comparative tasting of the Pho Tai at Au Petit Cafe, Kim Phung and the place at 39th and Victoria the name of which I keep forgetting...and certainly as far as the Pho Tai goes, Kim Phung remains the benchmark. The other two were not even close.

Au Petit Cafe may be great for sandwiches, but you are much better off with the Pho at Kim Phung.

The best item at Au Petite I think is the beef stew w/ tendon and rice. The stew is flavorful and rich - but clean tasting and not fatty. The rice is always so nice and fresh too.

gallery_25348_1373_1839.jpg

I would give Kim Phung the nod for Pho Tai and Bahn Mi. Their Bahn Mi has really flavorful ingredients, more condiments, and cheaper to boot. Plus you don't have to rush and order the bahn-mi before 12:30 to make sure that you get one.

The room inside Au Petite is cleaner and the service more cheerful - something that counts when the weather is being so dreary and grey.

^ That's exactly the dish I was talking about! The first time I ate it, I remember thinking, "This is WAY better than any ketchup I've ever had!!" I think the Chinese name says something about ketchup (maybe not the English name though).