• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Pala

weinoo

Tried the new pizza spot Pala the other night - pizza is sold by the foot (well, at the tables anyway - I think you can get a smaller piece for takeout or standup). We only ordered 1 pie (of 1 foot - enough for 2 at $16), and it was good - kind of foccacia like dough topped with speck, potatoes, and fresh mozzerella. They bring over a bouquet of dried Sicilian oregano, which was awesome. This was not a "NY" style pie; however, some of the others on display looked like thinner-crusted varieties to me. We also shared an anitpasto app. - for $12 you get to pick 4 of the prepared antipasti from the counter. These were ok, but more variety is needed and I guess may be coming.

Assorted salads fill out the menu - not cheap, either.

Couple of impressions - really nice space with a bunch of great looking high-tech Italian pizza making equipment - mixers, oven, water injectors, etc. were all high-end stuff. Staff was very nice.

I don't know what's gonna happen when they're crowded, as there's really not a place for people waiting for tables to congregate, so you may have to be prepared to do some standing out on Allen Street.

On to the wine list - my biggest problem was that there were literally no bottles to be had for under $25...they had a couple of glasses at $8 - $10, sell 1/2 liters of a few of their offerings (the cheapest at $24 - we had a nice Nero D'Avola at that price), but then the list goes up - and up. I mean, c'mon folks, this is a pizzeria, and if 'inoteca among a herd of others can offer up some bottles (and decent ones at that) for $20, so can you. So we spent over $60 for 1 foot of pizza, antipasto, and a glass and a half of wine each. Not your local pizza place, that's for sure.

I'm looking forward to trying some of the other pizzas when they open for lunch, but don't know that I'll be rushing back to sit down for dinner at that price point.

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

• 2 weeks later...

Opening hour is now 3 P.M. - don't know when (or if) they'll open for lunch. Can't believe not a single other person has been here for a taste - c'mon, help me out!

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

• 1 year later...

Pala is terrific. ostensibly "Roman-style"...(in Rome the toppings generally aren't that chunky..or plentiful).

tried four different pies. all of them good. especially the inferno...spicy soppresetta balanced with a sweet, chunky cherry tomato sauce.

best pizza I've had in NY.

they're also running an antipasto bar.