• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Cafe Matisse

Rosie

Dinner at Cafe Matisse, 167 Park Avenue, Rutherford (BYO) is always special particularly in the summer when their garden is in full bloom. If you are looking for a romantic restaurant then this is the place to go. Chef Peter Loria offers a three course prix fixe dinner on Saturday nights for $60. Other nights you can have the prix fixe dinner, order a la carte or have a grazing menu ($55). The dining room is delightfully decorated with colorful chandeliers and chairs and whimsical Matisse pictures. The service was outstanding and maitre d' Larry Falcone kept an eagle eye on the room to make sure everyone was happy and our waiter Ivo thoroughly explained the menu to us, intelligently answered questions and kept our wine glasses filled.

For appetizers we had a honey glazed celery root napoleon and steamed lobster tail medallions with ginger apricot butter and fresh chives; poached portabella mushroom with sweet garlic panna cotta, asparagus, shaved Parmesan Reggiano and roasted red pepper syrup; marinated crabmeat, lobster and shrimp with lime melon sauce, minted couscous sprinkled with toasted sesame seeds and my favorite of pan roasted scallops and lobster dumpling with grilled baby bok choy, sweet garlic chili coconut broth and crispy shiitake mushrooms.

Entrees were: cactus pear and chipotle marinated shrimp with guacamole, spiced sunflower seeds, sunflower greens, jicama and toasted tortilla; bronzed tilapia, shrimp and scallops with mango, pineapple and lobster fried rice topped with ginger sorbet and shaved coconut with guava syrup and coconut curry milk sauce; miso wasabi marinated beef tenderloin with ginger accented scallops and prawn, asparagus, wasabi mashed potato, hoison demi glace and orange chili syrup; and filet mignon of peppered rare tuna loin with chili rice paper rolls, Thai cucumber salad and wasabi drizzle. The chile roll was cold and contained crab, lobster, shrimp, julienned cucumber, serrano pepper, sesame, mint and ginger accents. I enjoyed everything but the steak was particularly tender and tasty and the wasabi mashed potatoes were the best I have ever had. As you can see Chef Loria uses interesting combinations of tastes and textures.

Desserts are made by pastry chef Paula Hayward and are as beautifully plated as the appetizers and entrees. We had a chocolate orange cream sickle with macerated orange in Grand Marnier and a macadamia nut cookie; a rich chocolate cake with vanilla ice cream and raspberry sauce; lemon-lime pudding cake with kataifi crisp, pistachio baklava and passion fruit sauce; and a banana macadamia nougat glace with chocolate sauce. Coffee was excellent. Phone: 201-935-2995.

Rosalie Saferstein, aka "Rosie"

TABLE HOPPING WITH ROSIE

What a nice description, Rosie. Beautiful menu items. I'm so envious. Since I change my own menus daily, I simply cannot concentrate on such well thought out items (sigh). My staff is handed a menu in the AM and it has to placed and ready to serve 8 hours later. Many of the items and garnishes having never been done before.

Your description was well done. It's on our list. More so after reading this post.

Nick

Gee Rosie... now you've gone and done it. I live a few blocks from Matisse (have for the past three years) and have walked by it a few hundred times, always thinking "hmmm... I'll get in there one of these days when I have some special occasion to celebrate (I don't usually spend more than $40-50 per person for dinner out unless it's a special occasion). Now I've gotten so intrigued by your description that the occasion can't wait (then again... maybe it's actually here... after 9 months of dating the same woman I've finally given in and acknowledged that she's really my "girlfriend" - I suppose that's occasion enough - she sure thinks it is).

"I've finally given in and acknowledged that she's really my "girlfriend" - I suppose that's occasion enough - she sure thinks it is). "

Sounds like you have a very understanding patient woman who deserves a dinner at Cafe Matisse! :biggrin: Be sure to make reservations a few weeks in advance for a Sat. night or dine there during the week. If the weather is nice dine in the garden. It's VERY romantic.

TABLE HOPPING WITH ROSIE

You'are absolutely right. She is patient and understanding and a real gem. I'm just one of those guys who has danced around remaining single (or close to it) for so long that it was a struggle to stop and recognize the value of this situation. She deserves some "official" recognition for hewr great qualities and will appreciate it. I think we'll do it just as soon as we're both back in town at the same time for more than a few days. Should be later this month and I'll report back here on the experience.

By the way... Bagel Supreme on Park Ave has finished the expansion and remodeling that added a dining room for breakfast and lunch. When I stopped in there the other mornign they didn't have the empanadas out yet but the place is gorgeous. The owner is Columbian and she's incorporated really good taste in the decor - has some cultural design elements that I haven't seen previously in local places. Nice texture/treatment on the walls and floors - really cute little place for a casual bite to eat.

Also... Medina, the new French-Moroccan place appears to be getting much closer to an opening. It's going to be on the upscale sidce and what I can see so far of the decor looks very nice. Let's cross our fingers and hope for great food as I'm always looking for another good place I can walk to.

Medina is open. I am going to try to get there tonight.

9:20 PM--Well it is a good thing I called because Medina is opening tomorrow night. I called to see if we needed a reservation and they told me they weren't open. "You're not open" I cried! The woman said "no." "But I called early in the week and someone told me they were open," I said. "I am so sorry," the woman said " they must have been talking about our grand opening party."

Plan # 2. Go to Tingo Taqueria a new Mexican place in Upper Montclair. We walked in and we walked out. The place had dirty tables.

Plan # 3. We would go to Corso 98 which we love. Got there and they were closed for vacation.

Plan # 4. "I can make salami and eggs for dinner," I told Lowell. That was rejected! We went to Stretches in Livingston and had a very good dinner. Stretches salad, pasta with their special cheese, flounder and an eggplant parmesan.

Tomorrow I will cook!

TABLE HOPPING WITH ROSIE

• 2 years later...