• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

memphis blues

chef koo

i've been to a few times and it's been up and down. sometimes the meats really moist and tender and others it's really dry. anyone figure out the best time to go? or is it a matter of whos at the helm on any given day?

bork bork bork

Getting bbq to the right "done-ness" and flavor is one thing however cooking in one kitchen for two locations and holding meat for a period of time is another challenge. :hmmm:

In my opinion holding bbq meat is like holding a pot of coffee... at one point in time it's either gotta go :huh: or it's gotta be basted, mopped or simply, re-hydrated. If you've had beef or pork that has a texture like cardboard, you know what I mean.

Try to see if Memphis Blues will dip the brisket in the "debris" - the what you ask? I learnt that term when ordering a po'boy in NOLA - it's the drippings in the pan after something has cooked a long time - aka meat-juice. That should give you a nice coating of flavor.

Brian

Brian Misko

House of Q - Competition BBQ

www.houseofq.com

Generally if you ask for "Moist brisket" (the term used in the South) you will get the fatty part with all the juices - that is as long as the person behind the counter knows BBQ (which I would hope)! :wink:

Cheers!

Well, I used to prefer Memphis Blues. But something has definitely changed there (but I haven't been in about 6 months). The meat now falls off the bone, and it previously had a great chew. Also, the bones are now very soft, and you easily bite into them. And the flavour doesn't seem as smoky anymore.

If you ask DIX to go easy on the sauce, I actually think they are now better than MB. At first they were oversauced, and very salty. That's not the case anymore. Plus the beer is generally far superior at DIX. Tony makes excellent beer.

M

In the question of Dix vs. Memphis Blues, I'd have to go MB, for flavour, texture, and value. Too much sauce wouldn't bother me. I just like how the meat is done at MB. But I've never been when the meat is dry at MB. Except for maybe the chicken. On the platter, it's my least favourite item, because it's dry, as chicken breast can so easily get. It's never really been an issue though, because there's so much food on the platter anyway. I've only been to the Broadway one. And yes, it's been at least 6 months for me. What a sad thought that they might be losing their touch. Come to think of it, I've only been earlier in the evening, so maybe that does help (if the meat is getting dry over the course of the night, as BBQ Brian mentioned holding the meat over time. I think Samba is like that too - the meat is better if you go earlier, as you're more likely to get rarer bits early on). By the way, does anyone else dislike MB's potato salad? It may be different now, anyhow, but when I first went to MB, it was the first potato salad I ever met that I didn't like.

I'm loving the comments on this thread... it's a perfect recruitment venue for bbq judges.

In late May at Eat Vancouver will be the BC BBQ Championships and guess what, once the teams cook their stuff, it needs to be judged. So what does it take to be a bbq judge? Well, an interest in bbq of course, being able and willing to eat more than your fair share of meat and well, being in the throws of blind-judging competitors creations. Judges take a course that is two to three hours in length (usually) and learn how to judge bbq as well as competition rules. If interested, kep your eyes open for more details at the Eat Vancouver webpage (www.eat-vancouver.com) or at the host organization the Pacific Northwest BBQ Association (www.pnwba.com).

As for me, the best bbq in the city is in my front yard. :biggrin:

Brian

Edited by BBQ Brian (log)

Brian Misko

House of Q - Competition BBQ

www.houseofq.com