• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Germany/Austria Wine Guide

mcattaneo23

I am looking for a solid book/guide to German and Austrian wines. I have above average wine knowledge but am far short of being a Sommelier. I dont know much about these two important regions and I am looking for a good book to learn from. Thanks in advance

I am looking for a solid book/guide to German and Austrian wines.  I have above average wine knowledge but am far short of being a Sommelier.  I dont know much about these two important regions and I am looking for a good book to learn from.  Thanks in advance

"The Wines of Germany" by Stephen Brook, publ. 2003 ISBN 1 84000 791 5, and,

"The Wines of Austria" by Philipp Blom, publ. 2000, ISBN 0 571 19533 4.

These books are far from definitive but they are good over-views and published in English.

Best, Jim

www.CowanCellars.com

Not as comprehensive and with a natural importer's slant, but you can't go wrong by reading Terry Theise's catalogues at the Skurnik site.

Great writer, absolute iconoclast, terroiriste of the first order. You may not agree with everything he says, but there's a lot of good meat. I've never agreed with everything anyone said, but I come closer with Terry than with most.

His Champagne catalogues are also great reading.

Enjoy,

Jim

Jim Jones

London, England

Never teach a pig to sing. It only wastes your time and frustrates the pig.

While probably out of date, Frank Schoonmaker's book of German wine is a classic. Hornickel's ' The Great Wines of Europe' is another. Many of the multitude of vineyards names and appelations that one sees today did not exist 40 years ago and the wines were simply sold under generic names. The outstanding vineyards are listed in these books. -Dick