• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

The answer: The Dunk Mug

Social Tea Biscuits, which my family could only find in Canada and have not located a reliable source for yet in the US (and we've been here 15+ years; perhaps we're not looking hard enough). Accept no substitutes. Dunked in...tea. How original. But a perfect combination with the hot, sweet, milky tea. And I savor the sludge!

I'm not hugely "into" dunking foods into my drinks, but some pairings are too good to worry about crumbs in the bottom of the glass or cup. Nothing beats a good yeast-raised doughnut (usually Krispy Kreme) dunked into a glass of milk or cup of black coffee... except maybe a PBJ dunked in milk! (Although, since I'm the one who has to wash the dishes, I generally use the take a bite/take a drink method.) I also like Oreos dunked in milk, but I don't care for the mess. My solution? Pour mini Oreos into a bowl, add milk, eat like cold breakfast cereal. I also have a fondness for bread dunked in milk, but again, I usually use the cereal method. And biscotti is wonderfully adaptable... good dunked into tea, coffee, milk, or wine.

Incidentally, I think the bread and milk fondness is part nostalgia, part enjoyment of the dish. As a child, I thought that it was a rare treat when my mother "let" us have this for dinner -- everyone liked it, there were no dinner table arguments over "you're going to at least try it," and it was really quick and easy. As I grew older, I realized that the bread and milk dinners happened during the times that my father's terminal illness had left the family in dire financial straits. Bread and milk was likely all we had in the pantry, so I'm sure my mother felt awful about serving it. I still like it, but I don't eat it when my mom's around.

"Enchant, stay beautiful and graceful, but do this, eat well. Bring the same consideration to the preparation of your food as you devote to your appearance. Let your dinner be a poem, like your dress."

Charles Pierre Monselet, Letters to Emily

I think dunking biscuits (cookies) is pretty common here in the UK but that's probably linked to our obsession with 'a nice cup of tea' - both commenated upon on the great site http://www.nicecupofteaandasitdown.com

Hobnobs, an oaty affair, are generally the best - they keep their shape and can take two or three dunkings. Indeed, as UK comedian Peter Kay says, they are "the SAS of the biscuit world" (dunk me again!).

mmm. must go buy chocolate digestives....

(I must also confess, as a teenager, that I used to dunk McDonald's fries in their milkshakes - mmm sweet AND savoury!)

I don't usually dunk, because dunking makes things soggy and soggy food reminds me of vomit (which brings back some horrible childhood memories of illnesses). But I've always had a fondness for Chips Ahoy cookies dunked in milk. Those and any kind of commercially made super hard gingersnap cookie. Dunking softens them up just enough to reduce the amount of crumbage when I bite into them, but doesn't make them so soggy as to remind me of vomit.

My grandmother always dunked her bread in coffee with milk and sugar. Not loaf bread, but old style Filipino pan de sal (which would be like crusty Portuguese or Italian bread rolls). That always reminded me of vomit.

edited to add:

A friend's ex-husband used to dump a bunch of jilabi/jalebi/jilebi in a glass of milk, then microwave it till hot and eat it with a spoon. I usually eat jilabi with a glass of milk, but not mixed together and certainly not nuked till soggy! That would really remind me of vomit!

Edited by prasantrin (log)

(I must also confess, as a teenager, that I used to dunk McDonald's fries in their milkshakes - mmm sweet AND savoury!)

I used to do this with Frostees at Wendy's!!!

"We had dry martinis; great wing-shaped glasses of perfumed fire, tangy as the early morning air." - Elaine Dundy, The Dud Avocado

Queenie Takes Manhattan

eG Foodblogs: 2006 - 2007

ditto on the frosty + wendy's fries...

Just a thought: Does anyone else remember that scene in Farmer Boy (of Little House series) where Almanzo reflects on putting popcorn in milk kernel by kernel? I've never tried this, but this thread may inspire me. Too bad I don't really care for milk. Just another take on "The Dunk."