• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

TN: Prà Soave Monte Grande '03

jrufusj

• 2003 Prà Soave Soave Classico DOC Monte Grande - Italy, Veneto, Soave (12/10/2005)
    By the glass from Vineyards at TAC with lightly fried softshell crab and fresh vegetable spring rolls (not fried). Light, clean, and freshly appealing straw color. Nose shows bright citrus and white peach with a touch of floral interest thrown in. Smooth and light on entry, the mid-palate doesn’t exactly explode, but fills out nicely with round white fruit and a light mineral core. Medium finish continues more of the same, plus a little fresh field grass. Perhaps lacking a bit of definition and acid versus Prà offerings from other vintages, I would drink this up now while it is fresh and refreshing. A nice foil to the food, as long as one avoids the (unnecessary) spicy dipping sauce. What simple regional whites should achieve more often.

Posted from CellarTracker

Jim Jones

London, England

Never teach a pig to sing. It only wastes your time and frustrates the pig.

Steven,

Not the ones I drink.

Best, Jim

The higher-quality versions do show much better acidity. In particular, the Recioto versions have good acidity, which is vital in a sweet wine. As a general matter, though, many of the versions I've tasted, particularly in Italy, have relatively low acidity. It's not necessarily a defect--as I mentioned, it seems to go well with eggs, which can otherwise be a tough pairing.

Soave tends to lack acidity, . . .

Steven,

Not the ones I drink.

Best, Jim

Yeah, what he said. And Prà is a producer that has pleased on that front before with nice, taut wines.

Also, just so I don't treat Prà unfairly...

This was not fat or flabby. It just had a little less tension than I am accustomed to seeing from the producer. I'll still drink more of it, but look forward to the 2004 replacing the 2003 in the Cruvinet.

Jim

Jim Jones

London, England

Never teach a pig to sing. It only wastes your time and frustrates the pig.