• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Chucker

EllenC

Here in the Mountain West (USA) apparently chucker hunting is a good thing. I have heard about these birds for years, but never actually saw one. A friend at work is going hunting this weekend said he would bring me four birds. They are fairly small birds so most of the usable meat is in the breast with little legs.

My friend says he skins them and fries up "chucker nuggets". I was just wondering if anybody has any other ideas?

Thank you,

Ellen

Also commonly hunted in upstate NY. At my brother's farm, I either make a stew out of the breasts with bacon and mushrooms (using the carcass and legs for stock) or a braise. There is very little meat except the breasts. "Chuckers" are a type of partridge for the uninitiated.

He who distinguishes the true savor of his food can never be a glutton; he who does not cannot be otherwise. --- Henry David Thoreau