• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Umberto's

Feedbag

Is it just me or has Umberto's been conspicuously absent from

this board's discussion threads? I thought about that when I

was looking for a really romantic restaurant for a special occasion

and recalled Il Giardino fit that bill. Otherwise, hadn't thought

about that place in years. I've been to some industry events

there in the bar, but table service, if I remember correctly,

was great and the atmosphere cozy. Has anyone been lately?

Is it still good?

I've been once to the Gastown venue but it was so long ago

I can't remember anything about it, let alone the name.

The Whistler outlets are insanely crowded and noisy and I

wouldn't go back, but I'm curious about Il Giardino. Any insight

would be greatly appreciated!!

Here is my little review from a couple month back. Sorry about the picture quality but I forgot the battery for my digi cam d'oh and was stuck using my Telus V710 = Crap most of the time.

Review: Dinner at Il Giardino. Link: http://www.emenus.ca/ilgiardino

C and I visited Il Giardino on Saturday night for Dinner, luckily since it was difficult getting “last min” (2 days in advance) dinner reservations but they were able to fit us in at 9:30. We arrived at the historic yellow house on the corner or Hornby and Pacific at 9:15; my mouth dropped in aww at the glimmering beauties outside. Hugging the sidewalk a 911 turbo, the sexy headlight of a F430, a Bentley Azure and the gorgeous ass of a wide body 996 turbo. C didn’t seem as impressed and just continued into the restaurant where her dimple dipped deep into her cheek as she grinned in aww at headlines on the hostess cool =) lol. We were seated within 2 min giving me just enough time to take a peak around the restaurant which was divided into a private room, bar lounge/dinner area, a second dinning area and two garden patios, all packed with patrons and a little louder then I had envisioned. There was a party going on in the private room, I tried to sneak a peak and got caught by the guy throwing the party and was invited in to check out the room and was even offered wine. Large loud older Saprano looking Italian guys are cool in my book. Our waitress Cinsey was knowledgeable, pleasant and helpful. Now to the important part Dinner:

anti.JPGshrimp.JPG

We began our meal with two different glasses of red wines one Australian and the other a merlot from Mission Hill. The first dish was a traditional Antipasto.. If I remember correctly included thinly sliced ham, Portobello mushrooms, olives, fresh home made mozzarella, a light bean salad, an eggplant, zucchini and sun dried tomato stack and a ouzo coleslaw salad. It seemed that no salt was added to this dish, which is a nice touch allowing you to add as much as you like; very simple nice starter. We also had Prawns wrapped in Crisp Potatoes.. Succulent prawns wrapped in thinly shredded potatoes flashed fried and then covered with a salad of organic greens. I enjoyed this dish but felt that the potatoes could have been a little less fried, their appearance seemed more burnt then golden brown.

lamb.JPGlobster.JPG

My main course was the Rack of Lamb with Herb Crust cooked just a little passed medium leaving a pink tint as I requested prefect!!!!! Vegetables and mashed potatoes accompanied it. This dish was almost prefect, the lamb and jus with fried onions had me tempted to chew away at the bones lol j/k (inside joke) only thing I would change was the mashed potatoes where a little bland and could of used some salt or even better some garlic. C had the daily pasta special, a long flat pasta mixed in a tomato and fennel sauce and toped with lobster. I only had a couple bites since I was too busy enjoying the lamb but it seemed good and once again lacking salt.

cream.JPGctari.JPG

Even though we were full we couldn’t leave without desert. I ordered the Crème Brule; at first I was distracted by the citrus zest but found it to be a prefect addition. I let every spoon full rest on my tongue savouring it as it melted away. C ordered the Tiramisu (Marsala soaked ladyfingers, layered mascarpone mousse). I still think mine was the better of the two deserts she disagrees but I do admit that it was one of the better tiramisu’s I have tried.

After sitting there for just over 2 hours combined with great food, friendly service, eye candy, and a full tummy I didn’t want to leave; I wish I could of just rolled up on a couch and fallen asleep while hoping for lamb and cream Brule dreams. As for price it was a pricier meals but worth the quality and environment. Would I go back? Defiantly, but since I am not a baller probably only for special occasions. I believe the lack of salt was done on purpose allowing the customer more control over the food with this said I would give Il Giardino an B+/A.

Edited by D90 (log)

....D90 I might take that suggestive picture of "C" about to eat the Tiramisu as Umberto will likely be e-mailing you on how he can pick her up in his Ferrari for dinner tomorrow - ........I know his favourites were always his newly hired hostesses in Whistler but watch out my friend.

Thanks for that wonderful description -- and endorsement.

Question: when you say it was noisier than you expected,

was that noise music or people yammering? Also, as for "expensive,"

would you say comparable to, say, Chambar, C, Raincity, all the other

high-end restaurants? I know lamb is traditionally a higher end item,

and since the pasta had lobster, I imagine that was top dollar too.

I tried their website and they don't list their menu and prices, so

any insight that you can recall would be most appreciated.

Oh, one more: would you consider the room to be romantic?

Since yours is the only reply to this, can I assume no one else

frequents this place anymore?

(And as I recall, that is Menghi's Porsche parked in the alley, no?)

Oh....sorry. You know what, I've never been to Chambar,

I just assumed by the reports here that it was on the scale of

Joe Fortes, CinCin, Bluewater, Gotham's, etc. etc.

So does this mean Il Giardino is more expensive than Chambar?

OK, OK, I'll check Chambar's website, I'm just being lazy....

While we're on the topic of Chambar, though, would you say

it's a more romantic room than Il Giardino? Maybe I should

start a new thread, Most Romantic Restaurants in Vancouver,

or has someone already started that? OK, OK, I should do a

search.....

Is it still good?

Umberto sold his Gastown restaurant, Al Porto, a couple of years ago.

Circolo manages to hold its own in Yaletown, but is easily bested (food and revenue) by Umberto's former consigliere, Pino Posterero (who will be opening a new restaurant in the Thurlow nexus), at Cioppino's and Enoteca. The Whistler restaurants are largely as you reported.

Il Giardino remains wildly popular and a cash cow. Its designer, Werner Forster, who was responsible for those intimate rooms and the wonderful garden, recently died.

A couple of meals there over the past few months told me several things: Bobby Copiak remains one of the best hosts in the city; the antipasto platters are savagely overpriced; the food, for the most part, remains quite good, if expensive. They do a lot of event groups in the Yellow House (the original Umberto's) private dining room, which has been attached to Il Giardino for some time. The old Umberto's Fish House now serves as his ops offices.

Find a partial list of Umberto's restaurant CV here. Note that it does not mention his Creekside restaurant at Whistler, his two Seattle restaurants, or his San Francisco restaurant in the Embarcadero.

In our recent Eating + Drinking Guide to BC, we rated Il Giardino with two out of three stars and awarded it icons for its wine list, patio and bar. Here's what we said:

"The city's longtime Tuscan standard-bearer is beautiful and not a little wise. Owner Umberto Menghi pulls pretty crowds, many tongue in chic, to the city's prettiest garden patio for salmon carpaccio mediorente and a rack of lamb with onion confit, but hell, it's all good--and highly seductive--here.GM Bobby Copiak is one of the city's most gracious hosts. ** $$$$"

Edited by jamiemaw (log)

from the thinly veneered desk of:

Jamie Maw

Food Editor

Vancouver magazine

www.vancouvermagazine.com

Foodblog: In the Belly of the Feast - Eating BC

"Profumo profondo della mia carne"

I have had good meals at Al Borgo (during and after its Umberto ownership) and at Il Giardino several years ago, but it's a bit pricey for my normal round of restos. My mum and I have tried to go once or twice in the past 6 months or so, but failed to get reservations at the last minute. Suggest you plan ahead. (Also, since Parkside is now my parents' Declared Favourite, it's hard to get them to go anywhere else, although I'm determined to get my dad to Aurora.) I have been to Circolo during Dine-Out, which was pretty good if not as exciting as some of the other Dine-Out menus I've had.

I attended a Barbara-Jo event in Circolo's private demo kitchen, and that was most enjoyable. Umberto is a gracious fellow indeed, I have to say, and his own-label wine is pretty tasty.

Agenda-free since 1966.

Foodblog: Power, Convection and Lies

And while we're on the topic -  what has become of the plan to build a boutique hotel above the Yellow House/Il Giardino space? Has Mr. Menghi changed his mind?

I've stopped asking and I haven't noticed if the Development Permit sign is still up. Last time we spoke about it, there were still some zonong issues, as the Yellow House is a heritage building and its facade must be preserved.

Jamie Maw

Food Editor

Vancouver magazine

We still go to il giardino fairly often (every few months) and love it. The room is one of the most romantic in the city (as is the patio when weather permits). The food is consistently fantastic, the service is always top-notch, and it's extra-special if you happen to be there on a night when that opera-singing-waiter-guy happens to be performing. Ask when you call for reservations, because, as mentioned, you need them (or else just show up late... 9-9:30). Also, you can pretty much always eat in the bar, which is really nice too.

The room is loud, but not unpleasantly so. You can easily carry on a conversation. I'd call it less "noise" then "vibrant hubbub." And I'm sensitive to sound, so believe me, I'd be first to complain.

It's defintiely expensive, but on the same scale as the other high end Italian places mentioned here. In my view, the experience merrits the price tag, but on the average income it (like those others) is a special occasions kinda place. I eat out too often. That's why I live in a shopping cart under the Granville bridge.

:unsure:

Sorry, tangent.

A few random thoughts:

- If you are looking for romantic rooms, villa de lupo is pretty great, room-wise, and service-wise. It's pricey too though, and I don't think the food stands up to il giardino

- If you are looking for romantic at a lower cost, I'd recommend Arriva on commercial. Paulo (owner) is a great host, the food is consistent and great, and the whole thing makes for a lovely evening. It doesn't have a downtown/yaletown/kits trendy kinda feel (meaning the decor is a little kitschy, and could be updated) but is has a really nice homey kind of feel, and a great wine list to boot (Paulo has some really nice bottles in his cellar which are not on the list too. Be sure to ask if you are looking for something special). Also, they do a superb zabaglione for dessert (not on the menu, but if you ask when you get there, he'll probably do it for you). Or you can go to that gellato place across the street that always has a line up

- Cool to read the hint Maw dropped about Pino opening on Thurlow. Any more tidbits? Cioppino's is always excellent, and it will be cool to see what he comes up with for #2.

- Speaking of Umberto's former henchmen, anyone know what happened to the other Bobby (former chef at Umberto's, left to open his own place on south Granville, I believe in the place which is now West)?

~11

Edited by 11son (log)

- Cool to read the hint Maw dropped about Pino opening on Thurlow. Any more tidbits? Cioppino's is always excellent, and it will be cool to see what he comes up with for #2.

- Speaking of Umberto's former henchmen, anyone know what happened to the other Bobby (former chef at Umberto's, left to open his own place on south Granville, I believe in the place which is now West)?

~11

1. Some time away yet.

2. After Gianni's went dark reportedly due to non-payment of taxes, Gianni Picchi moved to The Stump Lake Ranch, Beachside Cafe, Plaza of Nations, and was, at last report, looking for work.

Jamie Maw

Food Editor

Vancouver magazine

A while ago (this month) we were at the Yellow House for dinner, but not for a real dinner. We went for a dinner of appetizers. You know, one of those "Let's just try the first part of the menu for a change - small plates dining". Well, the server, bless his soul, was right into it. We asked for a selection and let the kithchen decide on the choices. This is often a recipe for disaster at the end of the meal when the bill comes, but they were great. Not too expensive, just a little; very tasty bites, great service, a romantic and a very busy room that buzzed but didn't shout.

We'll go back for the main courses another time and would recommend YH to anyone for good food, staff and ambiance.

Thanks, 11son, for the thoughtful rundown and alternatives.

Agree re Villa del Lupo, was there a long time ago but recall

it was a pretty special room/house, not to mention exquisite cuisine.

Arriva, now there's a place I haven't been to - or thought about -

in a long time. Maybe I believed the rumour that there was a

mafia hit there (never good for business), which closed the joint down for a bit.

Wasn't it owned at one time by a local food writer? Wasn't Barber, was it?

Anyhoo, after all this, the SO has decided he wants seafood now, so I

may just print out Ling's Cannery coupon and go there. As I recall

from past visits, it's a reliable standby, and there's that whole sustainable

oceans thing they got going on. Not to mention, there will be fireworks

and carol ships a-cruisin' on by. How special is that?

Thanks everyone, for your thoughts and advice. I'll let you know how

it goes.

Cheers

Thanks Jamie, for the updates.

Apologies to all for the Bobby/Gianni mix up. Sorry to hear about Gianni. Sad story, that.

Baber was indeed a partner in Arriva. Paulo, who owns it now was also one of the originals. I don't know anything aout a mob hit ever happening there, but even if I did, I'd be far too scared of waking up with a horse head in my bed to comment on it. But I don't ever remember Arriva being closed for any serious length of time.

Paulo was sick a while back, and things weren't quite up to par for a little while he was away. But since I've been back in the city (the last 7 months or so) whenever we've been there, it's been as good as it ever was. Great food, great wine list, very accomodating service, and Paulo himself is in fine form. Again, it doesn't have all the trappings of one of the heavy hitters downtown (and there's a lot to be said for those trappings), but IMHO the value is better and the food is right up there.

• 1 month later...

Is it still good?

Umberto sold his Gastown restaurant, Al Porto, a couple of years ago.

Circolo manages to hold its own in Yaletown, but is easily bested (food and revenue) by Umberto's former consigliere, Pino Posterero (who will be opening a new restaurant in the Thurlow nexus), at Cioppino's and Enoteca. The Whistler restaurants are largely as you reported.

Il Giardino remains wildly popular and a cash cow. Its designer, Werner Forster, who was responsible for those intimate rooms and the wonderful garden, recently died.

A couple of meals there over the past few months told me several things: Bobby Copiak remains one of the best hosts in the city; the antipasto platters are savagely overpriced; the food, for the most part, remains quite good, if expensive. They do a lot of event groups in the Yellow House (the original Umberto's) private dining room, which has been attached to Il Giardino for some time. The old Umberto's Fish House now serves as his ops offices.

Find a partial list of Umberto's restaurant CV here. Note that it does not mention his Creekside restaurant at Whistler, his two Seattle restaurants, or his San Francisco restaurant in the Embarcadero.

In our recent Eating + Drinking Guide to BC, we rated Il Giardino with two out of three stars and awarded it icons for its wine list, patio and bar. Here's what we said:

"The city's longtime Tuscan standard-bearer is beautiful and not a little wise. Owner Umberto Menghi pulls pretty crowds, many tongue in chic, to the city's prettiest garden patio for salmon carpaccio mediorente and a rack of lamb with onion confit, but hell, it's all good--and highly seductive--here.GM Bobby Copiak is one of the city's most gracious hosts. ** $$$$"

Yes, a gracious host, but not a pleasure to work with. I am tired of hearing nice things about a man who has made the lives of restaurant professionals misserable by his abuse, tirades, and unreasonable requests. You perform for him or you suffer. Thank god I got out.