• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Wine Fundi

Rebel Rose

New wine term for me! While reading this article on wine marketing, I encountered this quote:

You don't have to be a gourmet chef or a wine fundi to deduce what works and why. If you just concentrate on matching tastes, in the same way as you do when you prepare a sandwich or an omelet, you'll get the hang of it immediately,' says Fowler.

According the online Merriam-Webster dictionary, a fundus is:

Pronunciation: 'f&n-d&s

Function: noun

Inflected Form(s): plural fun·di  /-"dI, -"dE/

Etymology: New Latin, from Latin, bottom

: the bottom of or part opposite the aperture of the internal surface of a hollow organ: as a : the greater curvature of the stomach b : the lower back part of the bladder.

I guess that's a pretty good description of me. But I don't want to be a fundus all by myself. Is there anyone willing to join me in the Fellowship of the Fundi?

:raz:

Mary Baker

Solid Communications

Find me on Facebook

Yes, the anatomical reference of the term is the rounded bottom of a hollow organ. But at allwords.com, the word "fundi" also has a South African tribal etymology that means "teacher."

We cannot employ the mind to advantage when we are filled with excessive food and drink - Cicero

The anatomical definition is certainly correct, although I always thought that there was another definition that consisted of being "central to" that stemmed from the anatomical one. I believe that is what the above writer was trying to use. My interpretation of the term "wine fundus" is the one who is "the go-to person" when it comes to wine. That is to say the one who always gets the wine list in order to choose wines for a group or who is always asked by one's peers for wine advice. By the way, the writer, I believe incorrectly used the plural when the singular "fundus" should have been used. Are you a wine fundus as opposed to are you a wine fundi.

John Sconzo, M.D. aka "docsconz"

"Remember that a very good sardine is always preferable to a not that good lobster."

- Ferran Adria on eGullet 12/16/2004.

Docsconz - Musings on Food and Life

Slow Food Saratoga Region - Co-Founder

Twitter - @docsconz

By docsconz's definition, I am a wine fundus.

Let the funky fermented fundoids rejoice.

I always attempt to have the ratio of my intelligence to weight ratio be greater than one. But, I am from the midwest. I am sure you can now understand my life's conundrum.

But at allwords.com, the word "fundi" also has a South African tribal etymology that means "teacher."

Ah hah. As the article is quoting a South African, I believe, that's interesting.

You all do know what they call a really big mushroom, right? A real fun-guy to know. :rolleyes:

Mary Baker

Solid Communications

Find me on Facebook