• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Tradiciones de Navidad

theabroma

I am putting together a menu for a lunch party featuring a selection of traditonal Mexican Christmas foods. I am looking at ensalada de Navidad, ponche, tamales of course, and a rosca de reyes (also a tres leches because the hostess has requested one). I would really, really love to hear any suggestions on some traditional, regional items ... both for this event and just for all of us to try.

Yucatan? Veracruz? Michoacan? Puebla? Queretaro? Hidalgo? All of the other regions. I know that there are candies, and I do know some special enchilada combinations, but what about breads? cookies? soups? and especially corn masa antojitos?

Mil gracias,

Theabroma

Sharon Peters aka "theabroma"

The lunatics have overtaken the asylum

Round here among the middle class a leg of pork is absolutely necessary. it's impossible to buy whole legs most of the year but just before Christmas they suddenly appear all piled up. My memory is that they often have an exotic stuffing. I'll look for a recipe. And of course bacalao which is another absolute necesity. And imported turron to nibble on.

Rachel

Rachel Caroline Laudan

Thanks! And I am assuming that the leg is boned out, stuffed, and rolled? And then roasted (duh! Sharon, it likely won't be boiled!).

And as for the bacalao, if I were to try to serve it in someting other than a dish to spoon it out of, can you think of an appropriate item to act as a dish to mouth conveyance? A tiny tortilla? A crisp totopo? A baby gordita? Or, just a crouton or cracker?

I'm trying to stick as close to the tradition as I can without scaring the ladies who requested an 'authentic' Mx Christmas meal.

Thank you Caroline. I sign off smiling over the image of a veritable porcine chorus line at the butcher's!.

Theabroma

Sharon, I'm thinking about your mention of a rosca de reyes. I've never seen one served on Christmas, but the regional traditions where I've lived may be different from those you know. Around here, rosca is traditionally served on January 6. Whoever bites down on the Baby Jesus has to give a tamales party on February 2, Día de la Candelaria. One year my neighbor was in dire financial straits--and he got the baby. Rather than announce it, he swallowed it so he wouldn't have to give the party. :laugh:

You might want to liven up your party with a piñata or two. Piñatas are common during the posadas and on Christmas Day. At this time of year, they're stuffed with mandatory sweets, with cacahuates in the shell, and with tangerines, which are in season right now. Sometimes small toys are included: little tops, yoyos, hand-held puzzles, etc.

And don't forget the aguinaldo for your ladies! Aguinaldo in the form of a little goodie bag to take home is typical here. It's usually for the kids, but your ladies would like it too. Fill a small bag with candies and animal crackers, or something inventive, tie it with a holiday ribbon, and bingo.

Mmmm...ponche. I saw the season's first tejocotes in the market yesterday. Ponche can't be far behind. I have a super recipe, if you need one--spiked a gusto with charanda! I prefer rum, or tequila, but charanda packs quite a kick.

Edited by esperanza (log)

What's new at Mexico Cooks!?

Yes, I'm with Esperanza. Rosca de Reyes is for Epiphany. Here the orgy of cooking goes like this:

Posadas. Ponche, spiked or not and utterly delicious, plus tamales, plus bunuelos, plus atole

Christmas Eve, bacalao plus leg of pork or turkey (plus often lots of other stuff such as spaghetti for the kids)--often buffet style with everyone bringing something. Leftovers do for Christmas Day.

Fruit cake is very popular, well spiked of course.

New Year's. Same as Christmas except you swap pork for turkey or vice versa.

Jan 6. Rosca de Reyes

Candelaria (Feb 2) Tamales and (I think) chocolate

I don't think the pork is necessarily boned. I think sometimes it has holes poked in it. The stuffing tends to run to the olive, raisin, nut kind of mixture. Same for the turkey. Not bread of course. Ground pork often, if I remember. The bacalao is with tomato, olives etc. I think it could be served with any kind of cracker, tortilla.

My impression in the middle class is that it's very like the US--a good bit of intra-family competition for something slightly novel but not way off. So you must have bacalao, you must have pork or turkey but then you might experiment a bit with the stuffing.

Patricia Quintana has some recipes for this kind of thing in Feasts of Life.

Rachel Caroline Laudan

Are sweet tamales part of the tradition as well? If so, what types?

"Under the dusty almond trees, ... stalls were set up which sold banana liquor, rolls, blood puddings, chopped fried meat, meat pies, sausage, yucca breads, crullers, buns, corn breads, puff pastes, longanizas, tripes, coconut nougats, rum toddies, along with all sorts of trifles, gewgaws, trinkets, and knickknacks, and cockfights and lottery tickets."

-- Gabriel Garcia Marquez, 1962 "Big Mama's Funeral"

I ducked for cover on that one! I know that the rosca is for King's day, and relates more to mardi gras stuff that Christmas. But I stand chastised!!!!!!

Thanks for the suggestions and keep them coming!\

Theabroma.

PS: I am making savory and sweet tamales.

T.

Sharon, get ready to duck again.

Rosca de Reyes has absolutely nothing to do with Carnaval (the equivalent of Mardi Gras). Rosca de Reyes is served on the Day of the Three Kings--January 6. That's why it's called rosca de reyes, chica--ring of the kings.

Carnaval is the period during late February or early March just before Lent starts. It's the last blast of parties and whoopdedoo before the long penance leading up to Easter.

What's new at Mexico Cooks!?

Thanks. I am trying to accommodate a client with some very set notions of a Mexican Christmas meal, yet wants it to be "accurate."

Thanks for the info on the cakes; I actually did know the difference, but it is often helpful to have independent clarification of one's understanding. I am trying to make this as 'accurate' as possible while not losing a client. Where the rubber of business meets the road of anthro/historical fact there is often a loud noise and smoke! Were I given carte blanche to set the menu, there are many things, including the rosca that I would not put on it!

Again, thanks. And if there are any more traditional Christmas food suggestions, I would love to hear them.

Regards,

Theabroma