• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Wine and TV

Florida Jim

Dinner with friends:

With squash soup:

2004 Ocone, Falanghina Taburno:

Lightly scented and bodied, bright acidity but not a lot of flavor; I prefer Feudi di San Gregorio’s rendition of this grape (a bit more weight and flavor) and it is more widely available. Good with the soup.

With grilled pork loin with a potato and wild mushroom gratin:

2004 Terres Dorées (J.P. Brun), Fleurie:

Quite aromatic; firm in the mouth with strong flavors and good grip; long finish. Typical of Fleurie on the nose but more powerful in the mouth than the appellation suggests. Excellent with the dish. Very well made.

With apple-bread pudding:

2002 El Grifo, Malavasía, Dulce (375 ml):

A very clean but sweet wine that is light in the mouth and has good cut. Not so good with the pudding but delicious on its own. Thanks Loren.

Others:

2002 Luneau-Papin, Muscadet Clos des Allées:

Great wine; as always. Yep, GREAT!

2000 J.L. Chave, St. Joseph Offerus:

Better than expected (‘cause I’ve had a few vintages of this that have been swill); Rhone on the nose and palate, decent fruit, nice balance. ‘Will never set the world on fire but good accompaniment to dinner.

1999 El Sequé:

New oak nose that threatens bad craziness on the palate; not so, the mouth is full of old vine fruit, solid structure, bright acidity and good balance; long, tart finish. Showing very young but I think this is one of those wines into which the oak will actually integrate. Big concentration and good balance make that call a little easier. ‘Lots of promise.

Best, Jim.

Edited by Florida Jim (log)

www.CowanCellars.com