• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Androuet

cgarthwa

I will be in Paris over the holidays this year and my wife was very interested in going the Ferme Saint Hurbert for a meal. Unfortunately, from what I can discern it appears that this cheese-centric restaurant has met an untimely demise?

Does anyone know if the same is true for Androuet?

Either way, does anyone have recommendations for other restaurants in this genre?

Thanks in advance,

CG.

I will be in Paris over the holidays this year and my wife was very interested in going the Ferme Saint Hurbert for a meal.  Unfortunately, from what I can discern it appears that this cheese-centric restaurant has met an untimely demise?

Does anyone know if the same is true for Androuet?

Either way, does anyone have recommendations for other restaurants in this genre?

Thanks in advance,

CG.

Androuet's resto-cheese shop at 6, rue Arsene Houssaye has closed and was taken over by Gilles Epie's Citrus Etoile this fall and I believe of the original 4 stores only the one on the Rue St-Dominique remains. I'm not sure about the Ferme Saint Hurbert, the yellow pages still shows it there but gives the name as the Terre des Truffes.

As to another restaurant like these, there really is no replacement, I think the best you can do is pick a wine bar with great platters of cheese; you can find many on prior threads; their selections vary from a few to a lot. This thread is one example, but Freckles asks each month for others so if you do a search you'll come up with many ideas.

Keep us posted please.

John Talbott

blog John Talbott's Paris

There is a cheese shop right on or off Rue de Seine in the 6th where you can have a cheese centered lunch. I cannot remember the name or if it is directly on Rue de Seine itself.

They serve salad,occasionally a soup,and your choice size cheese platter plus wine of couse. If you are looking for cheese this is a great little place to go and very reasonable.

Felice, you know what place I am talking about, it is right next to the restaurant that serves the plates of Serrano Ham, olives, etc... I am pretty sure it is Rue de Seine it is on.

Edited to add: I looked it up on PagesJaunes.fr, it is called Fromagerie 31, 64 Rue de Seine, Paris 75006.

Edited by raisab (log)

Paris is a mood...a longing you didn't know you had, until it was answered.

-An American in Paris

• 2 weeks later...
I will be in Paris over the holidays this year and my wife was very interested in going the Ferme Saint Hurbert for a meal.  Unfortunately, from what I can discern it appears that this cheese-centric restaurant has met an untimely demise?

I'm not sure about the Ferme Saint Hurbert, the yellow pages still shows it there but gives the name as the Terre des Truffes.

Well, the Ferme Saint Hurbert is gone and as I suspected a new place the Terre des Truffes has opened and was reviewed (3/5) today in A Nous Paris. Sorry.

John Talbott

We never ate at Androuet, but I understood that it offered more than just a great selection of cheeses. It offered meals in which cheese was featured in every course. That's a far different experience than just a good wine bar offering an excellent cheese plate.

Robert Buxbaum

WorldTable

Recent WorldTable posts include: comments about reporting on Michelin stars in The NY Times, the NJ proposal to ban foie gras, Michael Ruhlman's comments in blogs about the NJ proposal and Bill Buford's New Yorker article on the Food Network.

My mailbox is full. You may contact me via worldtable.com.

We never ate at Androuet, but I understood that it offered more than just a great selection of cheeses. It offered meals in which cheese was featured in every course. That's a far different experience than just a good wine bar offering an excellent cheese plate.

Bux, as usual, you're correct, it was truly a full restaurant not a wine (& cheese) bar; but it had a great cheese shop at the front. All sadly gone after the Epie-ian blitz.

John Talbott

We had lunch two times at Androuet(25 years ago). It was unlike any other meal we've ever had. Cart after cart of cheese. It lead us to looking at cheese in a different way. We had hoped to be able to eat there again next year and was disapointed when reading this. Actually if I remember my reading, it may have closed once before and then reopened? :sad:

Ate at the Fromagerie 31 last week in the 6th.

I had the Auvergne plate...three nice cheeses from the Auvergne, over salad, and served with a cold marinated lentil salad.

Sam had this hot cheese, potato goo, that was marvelous. Aligote?

There were other choices of different cheese platters by region, and lots of wine, and it was nice out, sitting in the sun.

Lovely.

Philly Francophiles

L'Ambassade d'Auvergne is a good old standby. They've been there forever and have good dishes from that region, their cheese cart has always been good. The Fourme d'Ambert there is a standout, especially for lovers of blue cheese.

website

chez pim

not an arbiter of taste

. . . .

Sam had this hot cheese, potato goo, that was marvelous. Aligote?

. . . .

If I'm not mistaken, Aligote, and maybe with an accent on the "e" is a white wine grape and the potato dish is aligot. I'd like to say, you've never had aligot until you've had it at Michel Bras, but in fact it's a simple peasant dish and Bras, who wisely has it on the menu to pay homage to his Aveyron region, just as wisely doesn't muck it or treat it as haute cusine. In addition to milk, cream and usually a little garlic, recipes call for very young Cantal or Laguiole cheese or, as some recommend, a local fromage blanc. The latter may be harder to get out of the region, but I suspect it can be found in Paris and certain an entrprising cheesemonger or chef ought to know where. Recipes abound on the net if you do a search on "aligot."

Robert Buxbaum

WorldTable

Recent WorldTable posts include: comments about reporting on Michelin stars in The NY Times, the NJ proposal to ban foie gras, Michael Ruhlman's comments in blogs about the NJ proposal and Bill Buford's New Yorker article on the Food Network.

My mailbox is full. You may contact me via worldtable.com.

Tarte Tatin, I am glad you enjoyed Fromagerie 31. It is always frightening to recommend a place and be afraid someone will hate it.

I found Madame and her son to be quite cordial and their prices beyond reasonable.

Edited by raisab (log)

Paris is a mood...a longing you didn't know you had, until it was answered.

-An American in Paris