• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Roussillon in Poultry ban

It is no exaggeration to say that I was about 5 minutes away from ringing to book a table at Roussillon when I read this in today's Evening Standard:

One of London's top Michelin-starred restaurants has taken all poultry off its menu in response to fears about bird flu.

One of London's top Michelin-starred restaurants has taken all poultry off its menu in response to fears about bird flu.

Chef alexis gaulthier, who runs Roussillon restaurant near Sloane Square, took the decision to stop serving chicken, foie gras, and all game birds due to "uncertainty" over their safety....

...."He said:" This is a big decision and I have not taken it lightly. At this time of year, as a Gastronomic French restaurant, we would normally be serving a lot of game, duck pigeon and chicken. people who come to eat here expect to be offered something I consider perfect. I can't gurantee that about poultry at the moment. So I decided, if there's any danger in serving something, I'm not going to do it. If there's any doubt at all, then I'm not prepared to take the risk"

Mr Gaulthier added he believed it was only a matter of time before other restaurateurs followed his lead

I was hoping that he was going to cook the black truffle soup that he prepared on Greatest dishes in the World, in fact I had written to him asking if it was possible to prepare it for me. I didn't get a reply but I guess it's a no-go now! :angry:

Uunfortunately this does put me off booking a table, maybe I will change my mind but at the moment it's gone from the definite to the maybe list.

"Why would we want Children? What do they know about food?"

[

...."He said:" This is a big decision and I have not taken it lightly. At this time of year, as a Gastronomic French restaurant, we would normally be serving a lot of game, duck pigeon and chicken. people who come to eat here expect to be offered something I consider perfect. I can't gurantee that about poultry at the moment. So I decided, if there's any danger in serving something, I'm not going to do it. If there's any doubt at all, then I'm not prepared to take the risk"

Mr Gaulthier added he believed it was only a matter of time before other restaurateurs followed his lead

http://www.allium.uk.net

http://alliumfood.wordpress.com/ the alliumfood blog

"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, champagne in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming - Whey hey what a ride!!!, "

Sarah Poli, Firenze, Kibworth Beauchamp

Perhaps they'll be armed with steel tipped beaks!!

http://www.allium.uk.net

http://alliumfood.wordpress.com/ the alliumfood blog

"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, champagne in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming - Whey hey what a ride!!!, "

Sarah Poli, Firenze, Kibworth Beauchamp

Look on the positive side... maybe the price of foie gras will crash thru the floor and we can all stock up...

fresh foie gras freeze quite well, if I recall  :biggrin:

J

Could everyone please make a real effort to spread the idea that grouse are a particular risk (also teal and woodcock).

Gethin

:angry: Errr- I don't think so. We personally know our poultry supplier, and our confidence of the quality of produce hasn't changed from one day to the next.

No one has ever caught this flu from eating poultry- what a load of hype!!(or B****ks) Tonight we have chiken, guineafowl, partridge and wild duck- better whisper though the food police might get us!!

Seriously though, we are not about to dump all our local suppliers on tittle tattle and hearsay- they deserve support, well we feel they deserve it even if others don't!!

I have to say, if I was his poultry supplier right now I'd be spitting feathers ( :laugh: ). He surely has more trust in his suppliers?

I can't believe that this was done for publicity, after all who would be going to a restaurant specifically because it doesn't sell poultry? If it was done for publicity then it was misguided. Apparently he doesn't believe it will affect bookings, well they've lost one already. :sad: I will go when the poultry ban is lifted. :hmmm:

Edited by Matthew Grant (log)

"Why would we want Children? What do they know about food?"

• 3 weeks later...