• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Sunday Night Wine Club

GordonCooks

We deviated from our normal varietals/vintage to have a night of whatever was laying around our cellars

DSCN0125.JPG

2003 Beaux Freres – Upper Terrace

Very rich with prominent stone fruit, root beer? and noticeable tannins - good stuff

1996 JL Chave Hermitage Blanc

Thick and viscous - wet stones, citrus with ripe pear - more like the my previous bottles, not as green as my last.

1999 Quilceda Creek Meritage

Typical Washington - Loads of blueberries, cocoa, and cedar - not as much depth as the Cabernet but good

2001 Drouhin Grands Echezeaux

Way too young but the tannins relaxed after 4 hours - seemed very balanced with the fruit, spice, florals playing equal parts - a nice, lingering finish (I'm no expert on young burgundies but I liked it a lot)

1991 Silver Oak – Boony’s Vineyard

Prominent bell pepper became overpowering after 30 mins

1986 Robert Mondavi Reserve

Tired

2003 Belles Soeurs Pinot Noir

Pork fat and vanilla - Cherries and stone fruit - not very feminine at all

1999 Antinori Tignanello

Way too young but typical spice, cherries, earth, and leather

1999 Chateau Fortia

Thin and insipid

2000 DuBoeuf Moulin-a-Vent, Prestige

Excellent - Dark berries and bitter chocolate, dense mouth feel - good stuff

1988 Chateau Suduiraut

Sweet but one dimensional – not the expected tropical flavors. Possibly very young but not as full-bodied or lush as other 88s I’ve had – I’d like some opinions on this one

1988 Dolce

Never had before - Honey sweet but not much fruit - tasted very Puttonyos to me

1988 Maximin Grunhauser Beerenauslese

Corked, first time I’ve ever had a half bottle of dessert wine do that.

We deviated from our normal varietals/vintage to have a night of whatever was laying around our cellars

DSCN0125.JPG

2003 Beaux Freres – Upper Terrace

Very rich with prominent stone fruit, root beer? and noticeable tannins - good stuff

1996 JL Chave Hermitage Blanc

Thick and viscous - wet stones, citrus with ripe pear - more like the my previous bottles, not as green as my last.

1999 Quilceda Creek Meritage

Typical Washington - Loads of blueberries, cocoa, and cedar - not as much depth as the Cabernet but good

2001 Drouhin Grands Echezeaux

Way too young but the tannins relaxed after 4 hours - seemed very balanced with the fruit, spice, florals playing equal parts - a nice, lingering finish (I'm no expert on young burgundies but I liked it a lot)

1991 Silver Oak – Boony’s Vineyard

Prominent bell pepper became overpowering after 30 mins

1986 Robert Mondavi Reserve

Tired

2003 Belles Soeurs Pinot Noir

Pork fat and vanilla - Cherries and stone fruit - not very feminine at all

1999 Antinori Tignanello

Way too young but typical spice, cherries, earth, and leather

1999 Chateau Fortia

Thin and insipid

2000 DuBoeuf Moulin-a-Vent, Prestige

Excellent - Dark berries and bitter chocolate, dense mouth feel - good stuff

1988 Chateau Suduiraut

Sweet but one dimensional – not the expected tropical flavors. Possibly very young but not as full-bodied or lush as other 88s I’ve had – I’d like some opinions on this one

1988 Dolce

Never had before - Honey sweet but not much fruit - tasted very Puttonyos to me

1988 Maximin Grunhauser Beerenauslese

Corked, first time I’ve ever had a half bottle of dessert wine do that.

Qute an eclectic group of wines for one tasting!

I have tasted most of these wines and pretty much agree with your brief assessments.

--91 Bonnie's (Silver Oak) This wine has always had some herbal notes. I believe the vinyard is near a creek or stream. In some years the fruit flavors win out in others there is a distinct weediness to the wine. I don't think this is a result of unripe fruit--the common culprit--rather it seems to be inherrent in the vinyard itself. I believe this wine is no longer produced. It has never been a favorite of mine.

--88 Suduiraut I agree with you this has always seemed a bit one dinmensional especially compared to others from the vintage.

--86 Mondavi. I think holding Cal Cabs beyond ten ot twelve years is pushing it. Not suprised to see this "drying out" or "tired."

--2000 DuBoeuf Moulin. I have always liked this. It seems to be a recent "geek discovery" that yes, some Beaujolais does age well.

--Chave hermitage Blanc I am not sure what you mean by "green."

--Beaux Freres You are dead on re the Upper Terraces. I wonder when you think this will be drinking at its best.

as for the Belles Seurs -- this has never really excited me the wine seems to lack charm and up front fruit compared to many other oregonian Pinot from the same vintages. I wonder if they are vinifying this cuvee too much like the beaux freres?

Maximin. Unfortunately, problem corks arew not discriminating as to bottle size!

I have has corked halfs often enough. Too bad--this one (Maximin) coulda been a contender!