• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Acetate

Ling

I'm not sure if I can pour tempered chocolate on Silpat and then cut out what I need. Would this ruin my Silpat? Anyone?

I wouldn't put tempered chocolate on silpat and cut it out, mainly because I would not want to risk cutting into the silpat. It would also be very awkward for making the 'collars'. While I've never tried it, I also suspect you would not get the extra shine that occurs when you use acetate.

Edited by lemon curd (log)

Support your local farmer

Currently reading:

The Art of Simple Food by Alice Waters

Just finished reading:

The 100-Mile Diet by Alisa Smith & J. B. MacKinnon

I've poured chocolate on Silpats for making chocolate bark and scored it before the chocolate was fully set. It worked quite well but I didn't cut down all the way through and the Silpat facing side was not shiny.

• 4 months later...

Not wanting to mess with the acetate is the only reason I've never tried making Plaisir Sucre, alhtough I drool every time I see the recipe in Herme's book!

Has anyone ever tried making a modified version, maybe just using the nutty base and ganache? Seems like it would make a pretty delicious bar cookie.