• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Manti

Dryden

Does anyone have a good recipe for these? We love them and have yet to find a decent one anywhere...

I want pancakes! God, do you people understand every language except English? Yo quiero pancakes! Donnez moi pancakes! Click click bloody click pancakes!

Funny you should mention manti - i made some just this weekend:

i used Nasoya egg based wonton skins (i found just a bit thicker than those egg ones from the asian store) and it's helpful to withstand the baking process.

for the stuffing i minced leg of lamb, with some allpice, dired mint and oregano, and some parsley.

i baked them in 375 for 15mins until golden brown on top and then added a chicken stock, covered and baked some more until most of the stock got absorbed.

the recipe is mostly based on Ayla Algar's wonderful book Classical Turkish Cooking except for the filling that comes from Casa Moro cookbook.

edit to add: served with garlic yogurt sauce: greek Total works wonderful in this sauce.

manti23ai.jpg

Edited by helenas (log)

Thank you!

Anyone else have any recipes they'd care to share?

I want pancakes! God, do you people understand every language except English? Yo quiero pancakes! Donnez moi pancakes! Click click bloody click pancakes!

HI there: I have a recipe that is actually Trinidadian. There it is called Jub Jub. The recipe is from my book. Don't know if you will find it quite the same, but here it is.

Jub Jub

Makes 24

Jub Jub is one of those items that I ate as a child while visiting Trinidad and promptly forgot about, largely because I didn’t much care for it. On a recent trip back, someone offered me some and I tasted it, believing it was a new experience. Once the jub jub was in my mouth all the memories that come with taste and smell flooded back and I remembered one of the neighbor children shyly offering me some near the backstairs to my father’s house when I was about ten.

This candy is traditionally made with lime juice and it is this recipe that follows although, today, commercially prepared versions make use of many different tropical flavors. I suggest you experiment with clear tropical fruit juices of your liking. Internationally, jub jub is more commonly known as Turkish delight.

4 tablespoons (4 envelopes) unflavored gelatin

4 cups sugar, plus extra for rolling the cubes

1 teaspoon lime juice

2–3 drops food coloring of your choice

Dissolve the gelatin in 1 cup of water and set aside.

Combine 1/2 cup of water and sugar in a pan, and simmer until the syrup reaches thread stage, when a candy thermometer registers 215°F. Test by dropping some syrup in cold water; if it becomes like thread, it is ready.

Remove the pan from the heat and stir in the gelatin mixture, stirring until the gelatin totally dissolves.

Add the lime juice and food coloring, and mix well.

Wet a baking dish and pour in the gelatin mixture. Refrigerate until firm.

Cut into cubes and toss in sugar. Store in a glass jar or in a Tupperware container for up to 2 weeks.

Hi there--ignore my post! I misread yours and thought you wanted a recipe for Turkish Delight. LOL. Sorry!

HI there: I have a recipe that is actually Trinidadian. There it is called Jub Jub. The recipe is from my book. Don't know if you will find it quite the same, but here it is.

Jub Jub

Makes 24

Jub Jub is one of those items that I ate as a child while visiting Trinidad and promptly forgot about, largely because I didn’t much care for it. On a recent trip back, someone offered me some and I tasted it, believing it was a new experience. Once the jub jub was in my mouth all the memories that come with taste and smell flooded back and I remembered one of the neighbor children shyly offering me some near the backstairs to my father’s house when I was about ten.

This candy is traditionally made with lime juice and it is this recipe that follows although, today, commercially prepared versions make use of many different tropical flavors. I suggest you experiment with clear tropical fruit juices of your liking. Internationally, jub jub is more commonly known as Turkish delight.

4 tablespoons (4 envelopes) unflavored gelatin

4 cups sugar, plus extra for rolling the cubes

1 teaspoon lime juice

2–3 drops food coloring of your choice

Dissolve the gelatin in 1 cup of water and set aside.

Combine 1/2 cup of water and sugar in a pan, and simmer until the syrup reaches thread stage, when a candy thermometer registers 215°F. Test by dropping some syrup in cold water; if it becomes like thread, it is ready.

Remove the pan from the heat and stir in the gelatin mixture, stirring until the gelatin totally dissolves.

Add the lime juice and food coloring, and mix well.

Wet a baking dish and pour in the gelatin mixture. Refrigerate until firm.

Cut into cubes and toss in sugar. Store in a glass jar or in a Tupperware container for up to 2 weeks.

I've made manti from Saberi's Afghan Food and Cookery several times and people really seemed to enjoy them. These were steamed.

I have also made manti from a book I bought in Turkey called "The Famous Turkish Cookery" by Yayinlarj. These manti were smaller and were baked in the oven, in a broth.

Both recipes contain instructions for making a dough.

Any chance you could share some of the details?

• 1 month later...

Turkish delight: Can't even remember where I found the recipe but I can tell you I'll never do it again. To make the real thing you mix water, sugar, more cornstarch than seems right, and start boiling. It siezes up into a white mass and you keep boiling it and stirring and trying to keep it from scorching for around two hours, till it's transparent (more if you want the good dark one) and a drop strings between your (burned) fingers. The pros use something like an ice cream maker but with heat; the paddles keep it moving so they have time to stand around and smoke cigarettes.

Manti (Actually there should be no dot on the "i"): Mantı (but you'll have to set your browser to Turkish encoding to see that!) Here's a pretty typical recipe:

(from http://www.portakalagaci.com/oburcuk/2004/06/mant.html)

dough:

2 cups flour

1 egg

1 t salt

lukewarm water

iç malzemeleri::

400 gr ground meat (lamb or beef)

4 onions

1 t salt

1 t black pepper

broth for cooking:

2,5 T butter

1/2 T pepper paste

1/2 T tomato paste

1 1/2 liter boiling water

1 t salt

2 c cold water

Make dough adding water gradually to form a stiff dough. (think noodle dough, perhaps a *little* softer but not by much)

Dice onions very finely, mix with rest of filling ingredients, knead together.

Making the manti:

Divide dough into two or three pieces. Roll out very thin, to about half a mm (to do this, you will need an oklava -- a thin cylindrical rolling pin. You can use a 3/4 inch wooden dowel as well but it must be very straight. Roll the dough out till it is a couple centimeters thick, the normal way. Then dust it with flour and roll it ONCE around the oklava, pressing, then roll it back open. Turn and do this again, several times, till the dough is very thin. This takes practice.

Cut the dough into 1.5 cm strips, then across, into 1.5 cm squares.

Put small pieces of the filling into the middle of the squares, gather the edges and press together to seal.

Preparing the soup:

1. put the butter, pepper and tomato pastes into a deep and wide pan, and heat till the butter melts and they mix together.

2. Add the 1 1/2 litres boiling water and 1 t salt. When the water comes back to a voil, add the manti, and immediately stir with a wooden spoon (so that they won't stick). Stir once or twice more, till the manti are cooked. (don't cover the pot)

3. When the manti are cooked, turn off the flame and add the cold water so that the manti will stay firm (i.e. to stop the cooking).

4. Place the mantis with their broth in serving bowls, and serve topped with yogurt and sumak.

Note: Another way (more common actually) is to cook the manti in plain water or meat broth, then drain completely (or leave a little broth if you used meat broth) and top with yogurt. On top of this, drizzle melted butter, and sprinkle red pepper (Turkish marash pepper pref.) and mint. Some people like a little cumin too.

Edited by sazji (log)

"Los Angeles is the only city in the world where there are two separate lines at holy communion. One line is for the regular body of Christ. One line is for the fat-free body of Christ. Our Lady of Malibu Beach serves a great free-range body of Christ over angel-hair pasta."

-Lea de Laria