• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Lua in Hoboken?

Kobi

Heading to Lua this Saturday night with a large party of varying ages. We are all pretty open to all types of food and have heard very good things about Lua. Anyone have any particular dishes that stand out (one way or the other?).

Thanks in advance!!

Kobi

Last time I was there I had this snapper with a red and green sauce on it - excellent dish...be sure to report back your results of Lua - enjoy dinner Kobi!

Heading to Lua this Saturday night with a large party of varying ages.  We are all pretty open to all types of food and have heard very good things about Lua.  Anyone have any particular dishes that stand out (one way or the other?).

Thanks in advance!!

Kobi

Had a terrific experience @ Lua recently. Went with three chefs - had tons of cocktails and appetizers - sexy, fun place with enjoyable food. I would skip the entrees and do the same thing again - order lots of apps. Each was more tempting than the next, but i distinctly recall a trio of empanadas that was outstanding.

Just back from Lua- what a great meal. Very "Manhattan-esque" in style, presentation, and price. Ran about 450 for the 9 of us, most of whom drank, split appetizers, had entrees and split desserts. Service was tremendous, as was the ambiance, and the food was fantastic.

Kobi

Edited by Kobi (log)

What did everyone get, can you comment on that please? Thanks!

Just back from Lua- what a great meal.  Very "Manhattan-esque" in style, presentation, and price.  Ran about 450 for the 9 of us, most of whom drank, split appetizers, had entrees and split desserts.  Service was tremendous, as was the ambiance, and the food was fantastic.   

Kobi

• 1 month later...

Friends whose eating habits I approve of ( :biggrin: ) ate at Lua last night for the first time...the report included a (warm) octopus salad ($12), a steak special w/mushrooms and squash in a port (?) sauce ($28) and a huge piece of "what appeared to be part of a full roasted pig that they just hacked off...it had a huge layer of fat on it, but the meat was terrific--very moist and tasted great!" That was $20. With 2 Coronas, a mojito ($10) and two $10 glasses of muscat for dessert, the bill was around $120 with tip.

They said that the atmosphere was definitely NYC 'scene' and that the place is spectacular in decor. The noted that the service was excellent, but they noticed that there was an obviously planned mix of waiter 'types'--mostly attractive, seemingly gay (not that there's anything wrong with that...) males, and all very hip/trendy. This is coming from a pair in their (barely) early 30s who used to live in NYC, btw. They also said they felt like they were on a date, which they enjoyed.

Haven't been there, but it certainly sounds like it's worth a trip.

"I'm not eating it...my tongue is just looking at it!" --My then-3.5 year-old niece, who was NOT eating a piece of gum

"Wow--this is a fancy restaurant! They keep bringing us more water and we didn't even ask for it!" --My 5.75 year-old niece, about Bread Bar

"He's jumped the flounder, as you might say."