• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

What foodie delights can I find in east London?

Okay, so I know about Borough market but are there any decent ethnic grocers or a good butcher or little weekly markets in the east London or docklands area? Greenwich would be good too.

We'll soon be moving to Rotherhithe and it'll be great to be more central but living in North London I've become very attached to the Turkish shops around Palmers Green and the joys of Highbury.

I really do not want to succumb to the Canada Water Tesco.

Thanks for any help you can give.

The up market fruit and veg shop between The Chop House and Pont de la Tour run by Sir Conran is an option. Great wine shop near by as well. The Wine Wharf is a great place to have a glass or bottle of wine as well if you get bored by the Borough Market. The Canada Water Tesco is pretty sweet compared to the barren waste land of super markets here in Vancouver. I cannot wait to get back next year.

Cheers,

Stephen

Edited by SBonner (log)

"who needs a wine list when you can get pissed on dessert" Gordon Ramsey Kitchen Nightmares 2005

MY BLOG

The up market fruit and veg shop between The Chop House and Pont de la Tour run by Sir Conran is an option. Great wine shop near by as well. The Wine Wharf is a great place to have a glass or bottle of wine as well if you get bored by the Borough Market. The Canada Water Tesco is pretty sweet compared to the barren waste land of super markets here in Vancouver. I cannot wait to get back next year.

Thanks! I hadn't heard of Conran's shop. Will check it out. am a big fan of the Wine Wharf and everything around Borough market. It's great, isn't it. When I am there I think I've died and gone to heaven :raz:

I guess what I was looking for were more "staples" shops. Where I am now I can get cheap but good quality fruit and veg (not to mention olives and other delights) at my Turkish supermarket. I need a replacement for that and I refuse to go to Tesco, which is just my personal crusade against supermarkets and I won't get into that here!

Greenwich has a couple places:

Cheeseboard (for cheese, obviously)

26 Royal Hill

Greenwich

SE10 8RT

Tel: 020 8305 0401

There is also a great gourmet deli on Nelson Road, but I can't remembert the name (sorry)

The Waitrose in Canary Wharf is fantastic. It has a terrific wine department (with an Inner Celler for fine wines). You can even buy your bottle, and drink it in the wine area bar/cafe. It also has a Moshi Moshi Sushi in the store, in case you get peckish for sushi while doing your shopping.

Next to Canary Wharf (but you have to get up early) is the Billingsgate Market...for super fresh fish, obviously.

Where I am now I can get cheap but good quality fruit and veg (not to mention olives and other delights) at my Turkish supermarket. I need a replacement for that and I refuse to go to Tesco, which is just my personal crusade against supermarkets and I won't get into that here!

There might be a Turkish market closer to the Hithe of Rother - Bermondsey, maybe? - but I suspect that you'll have to travel as far afield as Walworth Road and Seyhans (quite far down on the right, past Iceland) and, also, East Lane aka East Street market, which has a number of traditional fruit and veg stalls among the African DVD merchants.

If you've time and enthusiasm, my tip would be to buy a second hand delivery bike with a spacious basket from Re:Cycling @ the Elephant and make extensive use of the River Walk route, which (almost) connects Borough and the Gastrodrome. Thus you can save on transport costs, so you can afford Borough/Conran prices, and get some crucial exercise while picking up fattening food.

I note what you say about supermarkets, but South London has a choice selection of the kind of shops you don't find in more affluent areas: Lidl (Macadamia nuts, £1.79) and Aldi (Batemans Spring Breeze seasonal pale ale, £1.09) on the Old Kent Road; another Lidl and a Netto in Peckham.

PS: South London's finest Indian delivery service: Simply Indian, 020 7407 5005. It's in Tabard Street, almost opposite the Royal Oak, which is the prestigious sole London outlet of a brewery in Lewes called Harveys. The restaurant has a few tables and is unlicensed, but they'll let you ferry pitchers of beer across the street. I hope you like curry and real ale :wink:

my old neighbourhood (actually, poplar/bow). lived there 15 years, and the change in food availablitliy is enormous.

a few suggestions might be: when we left there were some turkish places opening up on Roman Road (of course you can always nip over to hackney to the turkish food centre etc, north but not too far).

the other thing, is if you like vietnamese stuff, there is a little Vietnamese grocer right across the street and to the right when you get off at All Saints/Chrisp Street Market on the DLR, lots of fresh stuff: asian basil, the lot! its called: Alans, and i think the sign is a garish pink unless they have changed it i haven't been there in a few months.

also in chrisp street which is basically a horrible market, but a new polish russian shop has opened, lots of pickles etc. yum.

Marlena the spieler

www.marlenaspieler.com

my old neighbourhood (actually, poplar/bow). lived there 15 years, and the change in food availablitliy  is enormous.

a few suggestions might be: when we left there were some turkish places opening up on Roman Road (of course you can always nip over to hackney to the turkish food centre etc, north but not too far).

the other thing, is if you like vietnamese stuff, there is a little Vietnamese grocer right across the street and to the right when you get off at All Saints/Chrisp Street Market on the DLR,  lots of fresh stuff: asian basil, the lot! its called: Alans, and i think the sign is a garish pink unless they have changed it i haven't been there in a few months.

also in chrisp street which is basically a horrible market, but a new polish russian shop has opened, lots of pickles etc. yum.

Thank you, this has provided more of the kind of tips I was looking for! I was planning a trip to Chrisp St Market this week so I will look out for the shops you mentioned.

Also thanks to the person who gave tips on Bermondsey/Elephant area :biggrin:

I have cautiously dipped my toe into Waitrose Canary Wharf and while it's okay as supermarkets go I do find it very expensive and still, well, a supermarket with everything I dislike about that.