• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Anniversary in Charleston

BetsyinKY

I need some eGullet guidance. Here is my problem...

My husband and I will be spending a week in Charleston for our anniversary. Now, I've been to Charleston a couple of times recently, and have hit a lot of the well-known/highly recommended restaurants. I have been trying to decide on a special place for our actual anniversary dinner. I had pretty much decided on the Peninsula Grill, but now I am starting to have some second thoughts. I had never read anything negative at all about the Peninsula Grill until today when I started to poke around online. It seems that there is a group of people out there with some rather harsh things to say about both the food and the service. Normally, that would not give me pause, since everything I have read here has been positive (and I have learned to trust eGullet advice). However, I think it comes down to comfort zones, and I guess this is my real question...How froufrou is the Peninsula? The website says "jackets recommended, but by no means required". How dressy will folks be at the end of June, when the heat and humidity are high? Obviously, I would not go traipsing in there wearing shorts and flipflops, but my husband is a man who is much more at home in a nice pair of slacks and a buttondown shirt than he is wearing a coat and tie, particularly when it's hot outside. I don't want to sacrifice his comfort for my tastebuds, particularly if there is a chance of the food being "off" that night. Is the atmosphere stuffy? Is the food worth it? I know there are several of you who have been. Please share so I can make an informed decision....I don't want my romantic anniversary dinner to earn me the cold shoulder from my husband! :)

Yes! to "worth it?"

No! to "stuffy"

No tie really required ...

Meal is divine ...

Will tell you that Peninsula made my trip to Charleston truly memorable ...

Posts in the SE Forum for detailed info and impressions ..

click here

specifically, Peninsula Grill discussion :wink:

Melissa Goodman aka "Gifted Gourmet"

Betsy,

Congratulations on your anniversary.

I just wanted to second Gifted Gourmet's post. The first time we went to Pennisula was a few years ago during Spoletto. We hadn't intended to eat there that night and were just looking around at the menu thinking of coming another time. My wife and I were in shorts and tennis shoes and the host asked if she could help us. On a lark we asked if she had any seating outside thinking we might be able to eat out there without offending anybody. The host said she did not but could seat us inside right away. Not only did we have one of the best meals of our lives, the service was absolutely first rate and our casual attire didn't cause them to bat an eye. We have gone back since and dressed more "appropriately" for the benefit of our fellow diners but be assured your husband should have no problem without a jacket and tie.

• 2 weeks later...

GO TO PENNISULA GRILLE !!! You will not be disappointed. I am aware of some of the critisism. There is a group of people both in Charleston and in the SE that feel that because P-Grille has been discovered, has been open for 10y, has been written up all over the country, it can not possibly be as good as it was several years ago. I can tell you that these people are flat out WRONG ! Very simply those leveling criticism are not happy unless they are ahead of the curve and thus already inhabiting a place before the "masses" find out.

Atmosphere: Dressy Casual. A tie is not required. A jacket is suggested, but not required. I have seen every form of attire from sleek business suits and Channel to men just back from offshore fishing or the golf course. My suggestion is for your husband to wear nice trousers and button down shirt and maybe bring a summer blazer.

Enjoy- and please report back !

Best,

Ross

Just to update those who posted.....

We just got back from Charleston last night and our favorite meal of the whole trip was at the Peninsula Grill. It was fabulous! I was a bit worried about my husband's reaction on two counts...one, the aforementioned dress-up issue, and two, his tendency to like only "plain" food. I needn't have worried about either! In terms of dress, we both fit in perfectly. I wore a sleeveless dress and heels, he wore a short sleeved linen shirt and nice slacks. When we entered the dining room, he grinned at me, because I had sort of pushed for him to wear a tie and he didn't want to. I let him win the discussion and he was pleased as punch to see that there were very few ties or jackets in the place that night.

Food-wise.....I had the lobster and corn chowder to start. This has to be one of the best soups I've ever eaten. For an entree, I had the scallops, which were served with a yellow tomato cobbler. They were wonderful....tender, sweet, fresh...My husband had a steak and potatoes, which he said were excellent. For dessert, we each had a slice of the famed coconut cake (because my husband said he wasn't going to share!) I was pleasantly surprised when the server brought out our dessert plates and said "Happy Anniversary!" When I looked down at the plates, "Happy Anniversary!" was written on the edge in chocolate. When I made our reservations a few weeks ago, the hostess had asked if it was a special occaision. I thought this was a very nice touch. The cake, by the way, was even more fabulous than we had heard.

All in all, it was a wonderful dining experience. The server was excellent and quickly put my non-foodie husband at ease. The atmosphere was posh, but comfortable and not at all stuffy. I can't wait to go back! Thanks to all those who said "DO IT!"

All in all, it was a wonderful dining experience.  The server was excellent and quickly put my non-foodie husband at ease. The atmosphere was posh, but comfortable and not at all stuffy.  I can't wait to go back!  Thanks to all those who said "DO IT!"

I am so pleased that Peninsula maintains its status as a "must do" experience for Charleston! Thank you for coming back to share your impressions here as well ...

as for their world famous coconut cake? click here to see what we are raving about! :wink:

Melissa Goodman aka "Gifted Gourmet"