• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Oh my!

Florida Jim

2002 Joël Taluau, St.-Nicolas-de-Bourgueil VV:

Utterly pure on the nose with fresh berries, light herbs, stones, spice and dark fruits; very deep flavors follow the nose with some complexity, exceptional concentration without any sign of over-extraction or manipulation, intense, vibrant and supple in the mouth with perfect balance and precise structure; long, slightly gritty (but not drying) finish. Magnificent juice; head and shoulders above any red wine I have had recently, showing youthful rusticity and, at the same time, the beginnings of integration, as well as a clarity that simply can’t be matched. As good a young wine as one could wish for and the potential to be truly great. (A bottle several months ago showed well but nothing like this.)

With a pasta dish that included caramelized onions, white beans, roasted red peppers and herbs, this was take your breath-away gorgeous. Imported by Fruit of the Vine, Inc. of NY; 12.5% alcohol and $18 full retail; worth double – or more.

Best, Jim

www.CowanCellars.com

long, slightly gritty (but not drying) finish.

What does it mean to describe a wine as "gritty"? Is there sediment in it, or is this a metaphor?

Not sediment, rather its the textural component that tannins add. And, as in this case, when they are not astringent, I think its a sign of age-ability.

Best, Jim

www.CowanCellars.com

Jim:

The quality and variety you drink astound me.

I always look foreward to your notes and to what gems you will pull out next.

My cellar is nowhere as diverse or as large as yours but slowly I'm getting there.

Cheers, Steve

slowfood/slowwine

T,

Thanks for the kind words.

I have long since given up the chase for labels and highly touted, usually expensive, wines. Since I only drink wine with food, I am now given over to finding the unique pairing that, once you taste it, you know its perfect.

And the esoteric stuff fascinates me.

It astounds me that there are so many really fine wines available for less than $20; often from places most people never follow or seldom pay attention to.

Best, Jim

www.CowanCellars.com

Jim, what does the V V in the name mean? I have a local wine shop looking to see whether they can get this wine, but I couldn't actually tell them what it is. "Uh, it's red," I said. :laugh: Then I added that it's supposed to be really good, and not expensive. But is it a blend? Of what? and from where?

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

Jim, what does the V V in the name mean?  I have a local wine shop looking to see whether they can get this wine, but I couldn't actually tell them what it is. "Uh, it's red," I said.  :laugh: Then I added that it's supposed to be really good, and not expensive.  But is it a blend?  Of what? and from where?

Yep.

This wine is 100% cabernet franc from an extremely small appellation in the Loire Valley. I suspect the only place that may have some left is Chambers Street Wines in NYC (212-227-1434). It also carries a less expensive cuvee (I forget the name) from the same producer and variety.

Best, Jim

www.CowanCellars.com