• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

hawaii fish ono, what is similiar here in nj?

maui420

There is no similar fish available from New Jersey area waters. "Ono" is a type of "Snapper" indigenous to the Polynesian waters in the Pacific generally caught on Hook in Line from pretty deep waters. There are several varieties of Snappers available in Hawaii rarely caught commercially any where else, they are all expensive compared to mainland fish. Ono averages $7.00 to $14.00 per pound for Whole Fish that if fileted has about 35/40 % waste I'm curious what price you were charged per serving and what Restaurant is serving "Deep Fried Ono".

I find that "Seabass", "Tilefish", "Cobia", Sheepshead", "Red Snapper" or "Mangrove Snapper" are all available fishes that will taste comparable.

The Seabass and Tilefish can all be caught in New Jersey Waters.

There is one fish that I catch when in NYC, NJ area in season that I feel tastes better then "Ono", it's "Blackfish" or "Tatoug" I am not sure if it's sold commercially but it's a good fish to catch Fishing in Season it eats mostly crabs and shellfish caught in Wrecks or Rocky Bottoms. I feel it tastes sweeter and moister then "Ono"when deep fried.

Another underutilized Fish very popular in England that tastes very good fried, but is often thrown back by fisherman in your area is the "Conger Eel", it's a fish not a eel, in Europe often more expensive then most fishes sold at markets.

Remember "Angler Fish" were also considered throw away fish, but always expensive in Europe until we finally got smart. "Slimehead" was always consider non sellable until we taught the Fishermen to change the name so "Orange Roughy" was invented. The New Testament mentions "Saint Peters Fish" that is sold at your Fish market as "Talipia". This was introduced to Hawaii, where it now has adapted to surviving in Salt Water.

Irwin :raz:

Edited by wesza (log)

I don't say that I do. But don't let it get around that I don't.

Fascinating info Wesza. I learn something new from you with most every post.

Coincidentally, I just posted a recipe for ono from Roy's new cookbook "Roy's Fish and Seafood: Recipes from the Pacific Rim" at HawaiiDiner.com. The cookbook will be out in early June but we got permission to post a couple of recipes.

crab-and-potato-crusted ono with creamed spinach and bacon

As we say in Hawaii, "Sounds ono!"

"Eat it up, wear it out, make it do or do without." TMJ Jr. R.I.P.

Fascinating info Wesza. I learn something new from you with most every post.

Coincidentally, I just posted a recipe for ono from Roy's new cookbook "Roy's Fish and Seafood: Recipes from the Pacific Rim" at HawaiiDiner.com. The cookbook will be out in early June but we got permission to post a couple of recipes.

crab-and-potato-crusted ono with creamed spinach and bacon

As we say in Hawaii, "Sounds ono!"

[/quote

Thank you gossyp:

It's interesting about "Roy's" his Sous Chef, "David Abelea" was one of my protoges who started in the Restaurant business at my "Lisboa Restaurant" in Honolulu, worked there for several years, was a expert surfer with natural timing and ability to learn the back of the house.

If you have the time look up the recipe on the "Triple Cooked Chips" that we developed in Hawaii since we depended on Mail Land Potatoes on the Islands that were rarely stable due to the shipping and storage.

All the the years that I lived in Hawaii I never was served Fried Ono anywhere but at home.

Irwin

There is no similar fish available from New Jersey area waters. "Ono" is a type of "Snapper" indigenous to the Polynesian waters in the Pacific generally caught on Hook in Line from pretty deep waters.

Irwin

Irwin, I beg to differ, but according to all the sources I've seen, Ono (also known as Wahoo) is most closely related to the King Mackeral. It doesn't look like a snapper at all. Here's some info from the Hawaii State Dept. of Business, Economic Development & Tourism, Ocean Resources Branch.

(edited for spelling)

Edited by SuzySushi (log)

SuzySushi

"She sells shiso by the seashore."

My eGullet Foodblog: A Tropical Christmas in the Suburbs

wow, thank you so much for the wonderful info.

as far as the fried ono, i guess i jumped to conclusion. all the 'fish and chips' that we ate, and all the other fish dishes we had, they just all seem somewhat similiar(lean, white, and meaty), so i guess i just threw them all in the same category.

some places where we ate were at dukes, kuikis, gaylords, casa di amichi, plate lunch place in koloa, and some other mix plate places i cant recall.

but anyways, thanks for the info and i miss kauai dearly.

by the way, whats the dipping sauce used on fish over there in hawaii. is it a tartar sauce mixture of somesort?

There is no similar fish available from New Jersey area waters. "Ono" is a type of "Snapper" indigenous to the Polynesian waters in the Pacific generally caught on Hook in Line from pretty deep waters. There are several varieties of Snappers available in Hawaii rarely caught commercially any where else, they are all expensive compared to mainland fish. Ono averages $7.00 to $14.00 per pound for Whole Fish that if fileted has about 35/40 % waste I'm curious what price you were charged per serving and what Restaurant is serving "Deep Fried Ono".

I find that "Seabass", "Tilefish", "Cobia", Sheepshead", "Red Snapper" or "Mangrove Snapper" are all available fishes that will taste comparable.

The Seabass and Tilefish can all be caught in New Jersey Waters.

There is one fish that I catch when in NYC, NJ area in season that I feel tastes better then "Ono", it's "Blackfish" or "Tatoug" I am not sure if it's sold commercially but it's a good fish to catch Fishing in Season it eats mostly crabs and shellfish caught in Wrecks or Rocky Bottoms. I feel it tastes sweeter and moister then "Ono"when deep fried.

Another underutilized Fish very popular in England that tastes very good fried, but is often thrown back by fisherman in your area is the "Conger Eel", it's a fish not a eel, in Europe often more expensive then most fishes sold at markets.

Remember "Angler Fish" were also considered throw away fish, but  always expensive in Europe until we finally got smart.  "Slimehead" was always consider non sellable until we taught the Fishermen to change the name so "Orange Roughy" was invented. The New Testament mentions "Saint Peters Fish" that is sold at your Fish market as "Talipia". This was introduced to Hawaii, where it now has adapted to surviving in Salt Water.

Irwin :raz:

There is no similar fish available from New Jersey area waters. "Ono" is a type of "Snapper" indigenous to the Polynesian waters in the Pacific generally caught on Hook in Line from pretty deep waters.

Irwin

Irwin, I beg to differ, but according to all the sources I've seen, Ono (also known as Wahoo) is most closely related to the King Mackeral. It doesn't look like a snapper at all. Here's some info from the Hawaii State Dept. of Business, Economic Development & Tourism, Ocean Resources Branch.

(edited for spelling)

Suzy Sushi:

You are absolutely correct. I don't know what I was thinking but boy was I wrong!

"Ono" is a Fish that is indigenous to all warm water Oceans. Is in fact considered a "Game Fish" and is caught in all the warm water surrounding the United States, even occasionally as far north as New York on the East Coast and Washington on the West Coast. "Ono' in Hawaiian means "Very Good".

It's generally caught trolling on Hook and Line, then bled after catching, iced and available at the markets the next day at a premium price. I have never seen it served as "Fish & Chip's".

I am pretty sure that in all the Islands the fish most often served "Fried" in the "Mahi Mahi" another fish that can be caught in all the Worlds warm water oceans. It has a slightly more Northern range then Ono sometimes caught off British Columbia or Maine in the summer.

I don't know why I made the mistake about the fish, maybe I've been away from Hawaii to long, time for a visit, whew mixing up Wahoo with Grey Snapper was real weird.

Irwin :raz::wub: