• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Grazing along the Henry Hudson Parkway

VivreManger

Over Memorial Day weekend I will be driving round trip from New England to Philadelphia. Along the way I am thinking of stopping on the West Side of Manhattan for an off-road nosh. Zabar's is one old reliable choice, but I am curious about any other recommendations. H&H is always worth a visit. Liebman's Kosher Restaurant, on West 235th St. in Riverdale may be worth a stop, though the response on this forum has been mixed. Murray's Sturgeon Shop is a classic. Is it on 89th & Broadway? I actually think that aside from the herring, which is superb, the rest of the delicatessen fish is better at Zabar's.

Any other suggestions? I am looking for places that are reasonably quick and good, offer take-out as well as lunch counter style eat-in. I mentioned deli-type places because that is what I happen to know already and they tend to meet the convenience and speed test, but I am interested in broadening my options.

The key is that it be an easy ten minutes or less from the Henry Hudson and the West Side Highway between its beginnings in the Bronx and the Lincoln Tunnel.

BG is a good addition to the list. However. other than the lox and eggs omelette, a brilliant eat-in creation, I don't think it matches Zabar's. Certainly for take-out Zabar's takes the cake. What I am interested in learning about is anything out of the ordinary, something other than the tried and true West Side staples.

There is a good bakery, dessert, breakfast, snack place on Columbus Ave. around 80th St. that is also worth a visit.

I stopped at Barney Greengrass one summer Sunday a couple of years ago when I was in the middle of a drive from Springfield, MA to Lincoln Center and then to back up to Cape Cod.

I can still taste that sandwich: cream cheese(easy on the CC), lettuce, tomato and lox on a toasted poppy seed bagel. I could barely see over the counter to order it and the guy must have thought I was a lot younger than I am because the first thing he said was "that's a $10.00 sandwich" -- as if I might not realize it. Man, was that good. If I'd had more time and ambition I would have run over to Zabar's to grab a few rugelach for the ride as well.........................

Oh, another thought:

Either of the two branches of El Malecon would be a quick detour from the West Side Highway:

El Malecon Restaurant II

764 Amsterdam Avenue (between 97 and 98 Sts., west side of the avenue)

New York, NY 10025

(212) 864-5648

El Malecon Restaurant

4141 Broadway (southwest corner of 177 St., if I remember correctly)

New York, NY 10033

(212) 927-3812

Great pollo a la brasa, or if you get a spot, you could order one of the specials of the day and have a nice, cheap, filling lunch in about 30 minutes. If you decide to go that route, we can discuss particular specials for the day you're travelling, but aside from poultry, their red meat (oxtail, goat) dishes and mondongo have always pleased me.

Michael aka "Pan"

Michael,

Thanks for the great suggestions. Since I am visiting a Greek friend in Philly who used to work in her family restaurant, great Greek pastry would be appreciated. Dominican food would also be worth a try.