• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

The Debonnaire & The Debutante @ Zoe

slkinsey

Gary's most recent column in the SF Chron features two cocktails from NYC made with Germain-Robin Fine Alambic Brandy from California. They were created by Matthew Silverstein, head bartender at Zoe restaurant in New York.

The Debonnaire is made with Dubonnet Rouge, a great French aperitif wine, Germain-Robin Fine Alambic Brandy, a wonderful bottling made in California, and creme de cassis, a liqueur flavored with black currants. The cocktail offers a chance to make myriad variations by using different styles of aperitif wines.

Dubonnet Rouge is very hearty, bold and fruity, so if say, Lillet Rouge - - another top-quality aperitif wine from France that leans a little toward the lighter side -- is used in the drink, then less brandy should be added in order to retain balance. If, on the other hand, Carpano Punt e Mes -- a far less fruity aperitif wine that falls into the "vermouth" category -- is substituted, a little more creme de cassis than the recipe calls for should be employed.

The Debonnaire and the Debutante are "sister cocktails," having the same formula but changing the quinquina (a fortified wine and herb aperitif with quinine) from a red variety to a white variety. They are also "reverse cocktails" where the weaker ingredient (normally the modifier) is used as the main ingredient. Reverse cocktails are discussed in these forums here.

Debonnaire/Debutante

4 oz : Dubonnet Rouge (Debonnaire) or Dubonnet Blanc (Debutante)

1 oz : Germain-Robin Fine Alambic Brandy

0.25 oz : crème de cassis

Garnish: 1/2 orange slice (Debonnaire) or lemon twist (Debutante)

Shake with cracked ice and strain into a chilled cocktail glass. Add garnish.

--

Yeah! More press for Germain-Robin's fantastic Brandy!

It also makes great Sidecars and my personal favorite, a slightly leaner version of the B & B or good fellow cocktail. Brandy Gypsy or my attempt to re-create something like the original Brandy Sazerac.

1 1/2 ounce Germain-Robin fine alambic brandy

2 dashes Peychaud's bitters

1/2 ounce benedictine

If I am feeling ambitious, I will make this with the same method as a Sazerac. Chill glass, coat with benedictine, shake brandy with bitters, strain into glass. If I am feeling lazy, I will coat the glass with benedictine, add a couple dashes bitters and then the brandy. Very tasty either way.

Edited by eje (log)

---

Erik Ellestad

If the ocean was whiskey and I was a duck...

Bernal Heights, SF, CA