• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Cloverdale Rodeo

Again, as a very sad commentary on my provincial upbrining - I have never been to the Cloverdale Rodeo EVER, even though I grew up here.

I am a sucker for country fair type things - especially the food. Usually hot dogs are something I could take or (mostly) leave - but shove a stick in it, batter it up, and deep fry it, and I am willing pay $6 dollars for the privilege to eat it. (Actually - this seems to describe many of my preferences - culinary and otherwise).

So - has anyone been out there? Is it worth a day trip?

On the plus side - the very fact that the rodeo drives PETA crazy is reason enough to go. On the minus side - as someone who looks like they may have voted NDP, I don't want to get stoned (in the Biblical sense) to death out in the Valley.

Really - is there sickening and fun fair food to be had? If all there is - are candied apples (revolting!!) and cotton candy, then I will take a pass.

I can't think of any reason to go to Cloverdale in terms of food. keep on driving to White Rock and you will find some decent restaurants with waterfront views.

I use to ride horses as a child and would not find anything redeeming about a rodeo, budwiesser, or Coors. :biggrin:

Cheers,

Stephen

"who needs a wine list when you can get pissed on dessert" Gordon Ramsey Kitchen Nightmares 2005

MY BLOG

Lee, I too grew up here and have never been to the Rodeo. I don't look at this as a bad thing. It is Cloverdale, so I'm thinking the food would be along the same lines as the PNE.

canucklehead, you look more like a member of the No-Work Party to me. :raz:

I agree with peppyre, and having been to the rodeo on numerous occaisions in a previous life (i.e. marriage) I can tell you that the food is exactly like the PNE. I actually overheard in the beer garden someone complaining to their partner that they didn't serve beers like Shaftsbury, to which their partner replied "What do you want one of them faggy beers for anyway?"

The only reason I can think why we went was so my ex could oggle the cowboys. I know, get over it :laugh:

A.

Fried Food Shtick

Being from a part of the prairies that supports a mix of farm and ranch land, I have been to quite a few rodeos. Not for the food. Small rodeos are a celebration of cowboy culture and community. My father used to donate several trophies each year to the Fusilier Rodeo in Sask. My friends' families used to bring their campers and stay all weekend. As children, we had the freedom of playing unsupervised having the run of the entire fairgrounds-times have changed. Such freedom rarely exists for children of that age any more.

As a teenager, watching bowlegged hunks in tight jeans strap a wild animal between their legs was the inspiration for 1001 hormonally-fueled fantasies. There was also the frisson that came from the chance of seeing a cowboy trampled, gored, or dragged through the dirt. If that's the kind of thing you're into, go for it!

Canucklehead said, "Usually hot dogs are something I could take or (mostly) leave - but shove a stick in it, batter it up, and deep fry it, and I am willing pay $6 dollars for the privilege to eat it. (Actually - this seems to describe many of my preferences - culinary and otherwise)."

If you really like fried food on a stick, you need to go to a branding, in which case you could probably enjoy some deep-fried prairie oysters and I'm sure they would put them on a stick for you!

At a small rodeo, you're gonna get burgers and hot dogs flipped by a local charity. The burgers are usually pretty fresh-"wounded, hurt, and bleeding," to quote another eGulleter! I'm sure if you went to some rodeos in the States there'd be good BBQ.

But if you love your meat stunned, breaded, and poked through with a stick, you should check out Bob Blumer's book: Surreal Gourmet Bites: Showstoppers and Conversation Starters. He describes the same sort of er... passion you have. He also has tips on "fear of frying" for people like me who deep-fry about two time s a year. (I love deep-fried banana wontons with ice cream).

Before you go on another rant about Bob, think about how fun it would be to have him as an uncle. "Oh, it's uncle Bob, and he's treating us to one of his crazy dinner parties again." I think it would be cool.

I have fantasized about Bob catering my fortieth birthday party. I have the theme picked out and everything. It may have something to do with cowboys... Anyway, I'd like to take a ride in his toaster some day.

Zuke

P.S. What is it about food on a stick? Someone needs to write and essay about this.

Edited by Zucchini Mama (log)

"I used to be Snow White, but I drifted."

--Mae West

Chiming in a little late, but I have never been to the Cloverdale or any other rodeo. Even last year when I was in Calgary during Stampede, I had no desire to go. Just not interested in looking at men in chaps I guess. :blink: (Daddy-A, your beer garden story is missing that last one-liner! Why can't we ever think of these things on the spot?)

Anyway, I am reminded of a New Classics where Rob and Marnie go to the rodeo and end up making chili and corn bread at Lumiere. Mmm gourmet chili and cornbread... now that I could get behind. :wink::biggrin: