• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

ceviche/seviche

hazardnc

Summer in Charlotte is my least favorite season. By July, the humidity is so high I sweat standing still, my lawn succumbs to the heat and crab grass takes over, mosquitoes keep me out of the garden in the mornings and evenings and I am forced to take my runs before sunrise to avoid the Code Orange ozone warnings. From the first official day of summer I am looking forward to the first cold front!

There are a few summer dishes, however, that almost make up for the misery. Insalata caprese, panzanella, gazpacho, grilled corn and my ultimate favorite, ceviche.

I have been cooking Rick Bayless's version since it first appeared in Marth Stewart Living several years ago Rick's Seviche 101.

I know the Peruvians are famous for their ceviche. Some versions feature shrimp, others fish and others still conch.

Will you share your recipe with me and give me something to look forward to?

Jeez, I dunno.

Rick's 101 has too much stuff interfering with the fish, who are in turn, interfering with each other. I've had some delicious things like it, but one seafood item and easy on the tomato.

My favorite is a simple lime juice, coarsely chopped garlic, thai bird chili or other hot pepper, and cilantro - and I use the freshest possible seafood. Our scallop season just closed but up 'til then, I've sliced big raw scallops into thirds and into the juice they go. I find three to six hours is just right. Overnight gets a bit tough, but not bad. Same with fresh shrimp off the boat (in season in winter only), but one hour cuz they're so small. We're getting fresh squid from RI now. Should I try it?

What's really fresh there now?

"I took the habit of asking Pierre to bring me whatever looks good today and he would bring out the most wonderful things," - bleudauvergne

foodblogs: Dining Downeast I - Dining Downeast II

Portland Food Map.com

Mi favorite

Salmon, mango and peruvian orange pepper

I put the salmon with lemon and mandarin to marinate for 10 minutes, in the blender I make a mixture with mango, peruvian pepper, sugar, salt, pepper, apple vinegar and olive oil and added to the salmon. After that I put purple onion, sweet red pepper and coriander leaves

Rick's 101 has too much stuff interfering with the fish, who are in turn, interfering with each other.

maybe I misread the recipe but I didn't see it calling for more than one fish...

other than that, it seemeed like a fairly traditional recipe, the only item that struck an odd note was the olives. What do you find objectionable? Are there prefered combos of ingredients?

No, I mis-read the recipe:

1  pound  fresh skinless striped bass, snapper, halibut, or other white ocean fish fillets, cut into 1/2-inch cubes

I thought it was all together! :rolleyes:

I wouldn't put olives in a fresh ceviche but I would consider it in an ESCABECHE...

"I took the habit of asking Pierre to bring me whatever looks good today and he would bring out the most wonderful things," - bleudauvergne

foodblogs: Dining Downeast I - Dining Downeast II

Portland Food Map.com

I like to keep it simple. I use the little key limes as a preference. Basically, lime juice, onion, a little garlic, hot pepper of choice, a little cilantro or parsley (I come from a long line of cilantro haters), salt, of course and that is about it for the "cooking." I offer fresh diced onion and tomato, radish and more peppers for serving. And, don't forget the Saltines.

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

"Having spent most of my life searching for truth in the excitement of science, I am now in search of the perfectly seared foie gras without any sweet glop." Linda LaRose

my favourite for summer is a Ceviche Acapulco, made with lime marinated fish or cooked shrimp, (or both) chopped tomatoes, tomato juice, chopped onion, chopped cilantro, chipotle, olive oil, lime juice, salt, worcester sauce and sliced olives and the secret ingredient... ketchup.

say what you want, but try it before you diss it...

www.nutropical.com

~Borojo~