• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

My Thai

phungi

I am meeting a group at My Thai tonight and cannot find any reviews other than Zagat. There is very little in the eGullet archives, so I was wondering if anyone knewof published reviews or had an informal review to post. Thanks!

I belch, therefore, I ate...

I go there quite a bit--I live right in the neighborhood and it's one of my favorite last-minute dinner choices.

It's fairly small, very cute and rather romantic inside. Nice, not too expensive wines by the glass and bottle (lots of French and a few California choices). My favorite dishes are their curries, which they do very well, served with rice and some kind of cabbage side dish. I've also had the fish (swordfish?) in peppercorn sauce and liked it a lot. Very good soups and salads for starters.

The only dishes I've been less-than-thrilled with are some of their more adventurous ones. An orange roughy in tamarind sauce was too bland for my tastes, as was a vegetarian dish with lots of mushrooms but very little flavor.

Desserts are standard Americanized fare: cheesecake, chocolate cake, etc...quite good usually but nothing unusual.

Prices are all very reasonable, and I think most nights they have a three-course special from a limited selection of the menu.

sockii

| South Jersey Foodie |

I was wondering if anyone knewof published reviews or had an informal review to post. Thanks!

This is a little old, but I wrote about it on my site. From what sockii posted, it sounds like not much has changed, which is a good thing in my book. I liked it, but just haven't been back in a while for no particular reason....

"Philadelphia’s premier soup dumpling blogger" - Foobooz

philadining.com

I had a dinner there about a month ago. We only had entrees. The thai basil shrimp (pad ka prao) was very tasty, but spicier than it is at most Thai places. The pad thai was about average, flavor-wise, but unusual in that the noodles were cut in 1-2" long pieces, the way some little kids cut up their spaghetti.

I thought the room was very pretty and the service was good.

Edited by butterfern (log)

my thai is one of the most reliable restaurants i've ever been to, and i've been going there for probably nearly 15 years, since around 1990 or so when i first moved to the neighborhood... wait, could that really be true? have they really been around that long?

anyway, i've never had a bad meal there, and i've had lots of them. it's pretty much standard thai-american food. the people are nice, the room is cozy, the food is good, the prices are low, and they have a liquor license. it's been a standby place for us for years and years.

My Thai is a great find. The My Thai soup was excellent, and tasty spicy, and the curry chicken was also delish. And, a party of 9 with about 6 drinks and 6 desserts was about $210 with tip.

I belch, therefore, I ate...