• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Ginger-Gin & Tonic Gramercy Tavern

raisab

I had a Ginger-Gin and Tonic at Gramercy Tavern in NYC last night and even though I don't like gin, I loved this! After searching the web I see that the bartenders infuse the gin with sliced ginger. Does anyone know how long, what type of gin, and is it made exactly as a regular gin and tonic?

Any help would be appreciated!!!

Paris is a mood...a longing you didn't know you had, until it was answered.

-An American in Paris

I like to infuse my own liqueurs and always have something in the works. I'm sure whatever gin you use will just just fine. Just use one that you're familiar with so you know how to track the changes in flavor. As far as the ginger is concerned I'd avoid imported. Ginger root is very strong in infusions and domestically produced ginger tends to be a bit lighter. (I hear Wisconsin is second only to China in production. Not 100% on how true that is, but it wouldn't surprise me.) A week is probably as long as you would need to mascerate the root in your gin. Go longer if you like. Check on your creation daily and give a gentle shake. It may be ready sooner than expected. The liquid may be a bit cloudy or take a yellowish tinge. This won't affect the flavor. Check the flavor daily. Once it's ready just strain, put it into a clean bottle, and there you go! If you prefer a clean looking liquid you can use extracts to simply flavor the gin. As far as the cocktail goes, I'm sure it's made the regular way, with an irregular Gin. Don't forget your limes! :smile:

Have you had your Vitamartinis today?

Ginger root is very strong in infusions and domestically produced ginger tends to be a bit lighter. (I hear Wisconsin is second only to China in production. Not 100% on how true that is, but it wouldn't surprise me.)

I believe you're thinking of Ginseng, there.

Ginger is a tropical frost tender plant. The only way you could grow it in Wisconsin (or many parts of China) would be in a pot or greenhouse.

Wisconsin is one of the major suppliers of Ginseng to the world market.

Erik

---

Erik Ellestad

If the ocean was whiskey and I was a duck...

Bernal Heights, SF, CA

Rob Walsh's Houston Press article on cocktails, which has been discussed in these forums, mentions Gramercy Tavern's take on the G&T:

Behind the polished wood bar at the Gramercy Tavern in New York, there's a blackboard listing daily drink specials. Three years ago, I ordered an odd-sounding drink there called a ginger gin and tonic. It turned out to be one of the most refreshing and unusual cocktails I've ever had.

To make it, Gramercy Tavern's bartenders slice up fresh ginger root and combine it in a sealed jar with a bottle of gin. This ginger-infused gin is then used to make the spicy ginger gin and tonics, which are garnished with chunks of sugarcoated crystallized ginger.

Sounds to me like it's as simple as that: infuse gin with some ginger (a great way to prepare ginger for infusing is to "mulch" it in a food processor) and then use the ginger-infused gin to make a Gin & Tonic. I don't think I agree with ChicagoBartender about the length of infusion, however (although this does depend on how the ginger is prepared). With relatively finely chopped ginger, I think it's a matter of hours rather than days before the gin will be ready. Another option is simply to muddle several thin slices of ginger in a mixing glass with the gin and lime, shake with a little ice and then double strain into your ice filled glass before topping with tonic water. That way you don't have to use up a whole bottle of gin for the infusion, and you can vary the amount of ginger flavoring on a drink-to-drink basis until you find the intensity you like.

Edited to add: I did a little more poking around and have come to learn that Gramercy Tavern makes (or used to make) their Ginger G&T by heating up a 1:2 (sugar:water) simple syrup with plenty of fresh ginger to infuse, then adding that syrup to Tanqueray Malacca* at around 1:2 (syrup:gin) along with some lime juice. This mixture was stored for a while to "meld" and then poured over ice and topped with tonic water. This is clearly a process for a restaurant that expects to be serving a lot of these drinks, and not particularly well adapted for home use. I still think it's probably better to make the drink by muddling. That said, ginger infused into warm sugar syrup will not have the same flavor profile as ginger infused into room temperature alcohol. Most notably, I would expect the sugar-infused ginger to to have less "bite" (especially if the mixture is "aged" for a few days) than the alcohol-infused or muddled ginger, and perhaps a slightly more full flavor.

* Tanqueray Malacca is no longer produced. I don't know what they use now.

Edited by slkinsey (log)

--

Ginger root is very strong in infusions and domestically produced ginger tends to be a bit lighter. (I hear Wisconsin is second only to China in production. Not 100% on how true that is, but it wouldn't surprise me.)

I believe you're thinking of Ginseng, there.

Ginger is a tropical frost tender plant. The only way you could grow it in Wisconsin (or many parts of China) would be in a pot or greenhouse.

Wisconsin is one of the major suppliers of Ginseng to the world market.

Erik

You're right Erik, it's ginseng in Wisconsin. I find my ginger and ginseng at the grocery.

Have you had your Vitamartinis today?

You're right Erik, it's ginseng in Wisconsin. I find my ginger and ginseng at the grocery.

I wonder if Ginseng infused liquor would be any good?

Ginseng-Gin & Tonic?

I've had Ginseng tea; but, I'm not exactly sure what the ginseng part would taste like straight.

Erik

---

Erik Ellestad

Bernal Heights, SF, CA

Thank you all very much for your responses. I also did some poking around and found out they use Plymouth Gin now. I have a bottle infusing as we speak...er write!

Raisa

Paris is a mood...a longing you didn't know you had, until it was answered.

-An American in Paris

Hmm. Interesting switch. Plymouth and Tanqueray Malacca couldn't be more different. Of course, nothing it like Malacca. But I would have figured they'd go with a more assertive gin than Plymouth.

--

I wonder if Ginseng infused liquor would be any good?

Ginseng-Gin & Tonic?

Eh. Too yang (bitter).

I'm a canning clean freak because there's no sorry large enough to cover the, "Oops! I gave you botulism" regrets.

Eh.  Too yang (bitter).

That's what I thought.

I've read posts elsewhere from folks trying to make Ginseng tea from fresh Ginseng who have found it unpalatable.

Searching on the internet I did find some liqueurs which blend Ginger and Ginseng. Probably not something I will try any time soon.

I could be stereotyping here; but, I don't think it is uncommon in China or Vietnam to have Ginseng (or more unusual ingredients) steeping in liquor meant for human consumption.

Erik

---

Erik Ellestad

Bernal Heights, SF, CA