• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

chromedome

chromedome

E TA to clarify where Baie Verte is.. :P

It's not at all uncommon in this neck of the woods, though I've never understood the reasoning. Don't be surprised, either, if you're offered some with olives in it.

If you're driving up from Cape Breton you'll pass the Jost winery in Malagash, which turns out some cheap plonk but also some pretty fair German-style whites. Most NS wineries have a wine called "Tidal Bay," using the signature local grape varietals in varying but legally defined combinations, and Jost's is quite drinkable. They're created by the respective winemakers specifically to be served with the local seafood, an idea that originated with the provincial government and its Taste of Nova Scotia program. You'll also see a number of craft breweries (NS has more per capita than any other province) though I'm not personally familiar with those.

If you'll be crossing the Confederation Bridge on your way to or from PEI, take a detour to the small town of Baie Verte NB and visit the Winegarden Estate winery and distillery. The wines there aren't at the same level as wineries in NS (or at least they weren't as of a few years ago) but they distill a vast selection of schnapps and eau-de-vies, which are excellent. During the season I believe they serve German-style food there as well.

chromedome

chromedome

It's not at all uncommon in this neck of the woods, though I've never understood the reasoning. Don't be surprised, either, if you're offered some with olives in it.

If you're driving up from Cape Breton you'll pass the Jost winery in Malagash, which turns out some cheap plonk but also some pretty fair German-style whites. Most NS wineries have a wine called "Tidal Bay," using the signature local grape varietals in varying but legally defined combinations, and Jost's is quite drinkable. They're created by the respective winemakers specifically to be served with the local seafood, an idea that originated with the provincial government and its Taste of Nova Scotia program. You'll also see a number of craft breweries (NS has more per capita than any other province) though I'm not personally familiar with those.

If you'll be crossing the Confederation Bridge on your way to or from PEI, take a detour to the small town of Baie Verte and visit the Winegarden Estate winery and distillery. The wines there aren't at the same level as wineries in NS (or at least they weren't as of a few years ago) but they distill a vast selection of schnapps and eau-de-vies, which are excellent. During the season I believe they serve German-style food there as well.