• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

TN: 2002 Fisher Napa Cameron Vineyard Red Wine

geo t.

I had the opportunity to chat with Whitney Fisher of Fisher Vineyards a few weeks ago about what's been going on with that producer lately. Whitney, the daughter of owners Fred and Juelle, took over as winemaker in May of 2002, working closely with consulting winemaker Mia Klein. One of their recent success stories is the following wine, made from what Ms. Fisher describes as "young fruit with precocious quality," and I had the opportunity to taste it not long after our talk.

2002 Fisher Napa Cameron Vineyard Red Wine, $49, 35% Cabernet, 35% Merlot, 19% Cabernet Franc, 11% Malbec, 14.7% alc.: An inky opaque purple garnet, this exudes a rich red fruit nose with a nice kiss of oak, and the red currant and black cherry flavors show just the right amount of ripe, rich, creamy fruit, accented with hints of cocoa - chocolate and tobacco. This is quite delicious right now, a big, fun wine with lots of exuberant fruit and moderate tannins that show mostly on the finish. Not a wine for extended aging, but rather one to drink now, or to cellar short term over the next few years. Based on our experience with the '01 Fisher RCF Merlot, I gave this a little time in a decanter, and it certainly didn't seem to hurt.

Click the link above for the full story on this wine, as well as how Ms. Fisher became the winemaker at Fisher Vineyards, something she had never planned on or aspired to.

Reporting from Day-twah,

geo t.

George Heritier aka geo t.

The Gang of Pour