• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Wildflower

Daniel

Yah, sorry for the cheesy title.. I was doing a search the other day for different places when i came across this place.. Has anyone heard anything good or bad about it.. The menu looks excellent. I will report back after my dinner wednesday night.

We went there for dinner last night. It was really excellent and quite the find. The menu is very strong on wild game and exotic dishes you will not see elsewhere. I started with a smoked elk carpaccio which was really nice--good smokey flavor to the elk. For the entree I had himalayan yak fillet, which was cooked medium rare and sliced into small peices with a au gratin potato side. My gf had lobster mac & cheese to start and crab cake for main--also excellent. Long and inexpensive wine list (we each had a good glass of Merlot for $6). Very friendly waitstaff and owner, who was eager to tell us about the place. They other dishes that looked yummy were the buffalo meatloaf and ostrich fillet for the main and alligator etouffee and gumbo for starters. The bread was also excellent, similar to Lupa's actually. The only negatives were that the tap water should have had ice (or been colder) and that the greens served with the elk could do with a different dressing. But, overall, it was a real discovery and I look forward to going again soon, and checking out the additional wild game specials that they have. The entire meal, including 20% tip, was around $85 or so, which is VERY reasonable in my opinion (the yak dish was $27).

Menu below:

http://menupages.com/restaurantdetails.asp...d=0&cuisineid=0

My girl had the smoked elk carpaccio.. The dish was cold smoked.. Had great smokey flavor.. The lobster mac and cheese was good.. It had truffles in it..

The ostrich filet was rather good too... The prices are reasonable.. Place is cute..

danfishe, thanks for the menupages.com link. Wildflower is not far from where I live, but I don't often walk that street. I'd not heard anything of it prior to this thread.

Robert Buxbaum

WorldTable

Recent WorldTable posts include: comments about reporting on Michelin stars in The NY Times, the NJ proposal to ban foie gras, Michael Ruhlman's comments in blogs about the NJ proposal and Bill Buford's New Yorker article on the Food Network.

My mailbox is full. You may contact me via worldtable.com.

Menupages.com lists a dish called "'Floppy - Eared Chicken' **". The two asterisks indicate that you should "ask you server for details". The asterisks are not necessary.

JJ Goode

Co-author of Serious Barbecue, which is in stores now!

www.jjgoode.com

"For those of you following along, JJ is one of these hummingbird-metabolism types. He weighs something like eleven pounds but he can eat more than me and Jason put together..." -Fat Guy

Menupages.com lists a dish called "'Floppy - Eared Chicken' **". The two asterisks indicate that you should "ask you server for details". The asterisks are not necessary.

That sort of euphemism is peculiar for a place that offers so much strange meat, or at least meat from animals foreign to the usual diet of New Yorkers. Speaking of the variety of uncommon meat available, I would tend to assume most of it is frozen. For such a small restaurant to offer such a variety fresh would be very difficult, or so I would think.

Robert Buxbaum

WorldTable

Recent WorldTable posts include: comments about reporting on Michelin stars in The NY Times, the NJ proposal to ban foie gras, Michael Ruhlman's comments in blogs about the NJ proposal and Bill Buford's New Yorker article on the Food Network.

For the floppy eared chicken, is rabbit really such a menu oddity in New York at this point?

As for elk, I had it a couple of years ago down in Dallas - it's extremely lean like bison, with a flavor that's kind of a cross between bison and venison, but not quite as flavorful as either. Of course, in a carpaccio, I would imagine this flavor is greatly magnified.

Edited by Dryden (log)

I want pancakes! God, do you people understand every language except English? Yo quiero pancakes! Donnez moi pancakes! Click click bloody click pancakes!

For the floppy eared chicken, is rabbit really such a menu oddity in New York at this point?

As for elk, I had it a couple of years ago down in Dallas - it's extremely lean like bison, with a flavor that's kind of a cross between bison and venison, but not quite as flavorful as either.  Of course, in a carpaccio, I would image this flavor is greatly magnified.

Ah, I should have figured it referred to rabbit. Am I the only idiot who didn't realize what that meant?

JJ Goode

Co-author of Serious Barbecue, which is in stores now!

www.jjgoode.com

"For those of you following along, JJ is one of these hummingbird-metabolism types. He weighs something like eleven pounds but he can eat more than me and Jason put together..." -Fat Guy

Am I the only idiot who didn't realize what that meant?

And to think I gave you the benefit of the doubt when you said the asterisks are not necessary. I thought you meant you knew what a floppy eared chicken was. Rocky mountain oysters are not a fresh water mollusc.

Robert Buxbaum

WorldTable