• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

The Clam Hut in Highlands

Randi

I guess I already know the answer to the question above, more or less. The Clam Hut in Highlands (where I used to love to go in years past for the freshest twin lobsters and pots of real steamers) was sold a few years ago and became Lorenzo's Clam Hut. The menu changed and I never went back.

I recently thought I might give Lorenzo's a chance, but I see the website is gone, and their phone number is disconnected.

Does anyone know if another restaurant has opened in its place? The location was great, right on the water.

"Well," said Pooh, "what I like best --" and then he had to stop and think. Because although Eating Honey was a very good thing to do, there was a moment just before you began to eat it which was better than when you were, but he didn't know what it was called. - A.A. Milne

The only memorable part of our one experience at the Clam Hut was that it had the DIRTIEST most disgusting rest room we ever saw!! (I know this is on a separate thread).

Aside from Original Oyster which is more upscale, there is a place right next to the Sandy Hook bridge (name escapes me) with a terrific deck and excellent seafood and lobster. You order inside and wait on the deck (20 minutes in summer) for them to call your number.

Aside from Original Oyster which is more upscale, there is a place right next to the Sandy Hook bridge (name escapes me) with a terrific deck and excellent seafood and lobster.  You order inside and wait on the deck (20 minutes in summer) for them to call your number.

Bahr's?

"Well," said Pooh, "what I like best --" and then he had to stop and think. Because although Eating Honey was a very good thing to do, there was a moment just before you began to eat it which was better than when you were, but he didn't know what it was called. - A.A. Milne

I think it's actually NEXT to Bahr's-- right by the bridge... Have you been there?

I have been to Bahr's once. No place else in that area, however. (except Clam Hut)

I am VERY open to suggestions! Looking forward to finding out the name of the place you went to.

The Clam Hut is still there. At least it was this past

October. The menu is how should we say, more upscale,

costly and IMO no where near as good or fresh as the

Clam Hut of the days mentioned in this thread. I used to

order the freshest of lobsters and buckets of softshell clams,

Fuhgetabout it now.

Lorenzo is next to the Clam Hut on the water but a few blocks

away by land. This summer the place did little business and by

the end of August the owner was looking for someone new to lease

it.

The place next to Bahr's is owned by Bahr's and is all outdoor

seating and a large but more restricted menu than next door.

IMO their fish is nothing special and overpriced.

The place that is constantly packed and is byob, is in the strip

mall next to the A&P about a half mile from Bahrs. The Navesink

Fishery or something close to that name is pretty damn good for

fresh fish, shellfish etc.

The Clam Hut is still there.  At least it was this past

October.  The menu is how should we say, more upscale,

costly and IMO no where near as good or fresh as the

Clam Hut of the days mentioned in this thread.  I used to

order the freshest of lobsters and buckets of softshell clams,

Fuhgetabout it now.

Lorenzo is next to the Clam Hut on the water but a few blocks

away by land.  This summer the place did little business and by

the end of August the owner was looking for someone new to lease

it.

The place next to Bahr's is owned by Bahr's and is all outdoor

seating and a large but more restricted menu than next door.

IMO their fish is nothing special and overpriced.

The place that is constantly packed and is byob, is in the strip

mall next to the A&P about a half mile from Bahrs.  The Navesink

Fishery or something close to that name is pretty damn good for

fresh fish, shellfish etc.

Thanks for the info - glad I wasn't the only one who LOVED the lobsters and clams there. I am baffled though if they are open, since the website is down, and the phone number disconnected...

Even if they were only open weekends this time of year (as in the past) the phone would still be working.

I also was not impressed by Bahr's. Definitely expensive.

I have heard good things about The Navesink Fishery - maybe that needs to be my new seafood destination place?

Randi