• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Marc

scase805

I was reading that those in the know pour marc on top of their Langres cheese. I had never heard of marc before, and I was wondering if it would be something that was readily available in liquor stores in the Philadelphia region.

Thanks for your help!

Exceptional food + wine tours of Sicily & Puglia.

Export manager: regional Italian foods

Blogging at: Getting Lost in Sicily

"At the table, you forget your troubles."

- Sicilian proverb

Marc is the french take on grappa, turning the skins and seeds left over after winemaking into fermented sludge, and then distilling it. If marc is not available, either a grappa or a german grape eau de vie might come close to the mark. Check the lcb's website for PA inventory.

Christopher D. Holst aka "cdh"

Learn to brew beer with my eGCI course

Chris Holst, Attorney-at-Lunch

Just took a look around the lcb website. Only marc stocked in PA is a gewurztraminer from Clear Creek, a well reputed west coast distillery, so getting the real french stuff may be problematic absent a jaunt up to NYC... and might even be tough there. That said, a Clear Creek gewurz marc will probably be in the style of the good Marc d' Alsace..

Christopher D. Holst aka "cdh"

Learn to brew beer with my eGCI course

Chris Holst, Attorney-at-Lunch

The only readily available French Marc in the DC area is the Joseph Cartron Marc de Bourgogne "Tres Vieux" (I think that's the designation; although to my knowledge there is no meaning to it). Is anyone familiar with this bottling? I love marc and would love to be able to keep a couple around the house, but I can't spring for DRC.

Jake Parrott

Ledroit Brands, LLC

Bringing new and rare spirits to Washington DC.