• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Bainbridge eateries?

Any recommendations for a place to eat when you walk off the ferry on Bainbridge Island? Maybe have a cocktail and watch the boats?

Thanks in advance!

Sitting on the fence between gourmet and gourmand, I am probably leaning to the right...

Lyle P.

Redwood City, CA

On Winslow Way-turn left at the light- a few blocks down on the left side is Cafe Nola. Also further down the road ( on the right side in a shopping center ) is BI Sushi Place. Won't be able to see the water from there but the food is good. Hope this helps. Kay

There are three places to sit right on the water. Two are good. Bainbridge Thai is, of course, Thai, and very nice, with great outdoor tables right on the harbor. Up the street a little further is the Pub, called the Harbor House oficially, I think. They have a lovely deck over the water, and better than decent food. On the way to the Pub you'll pass Doc's. Keep on walking.

Don't go to Nola unless you have a masochistic love of horrible service. BI Sushi is not near the water.

Edited by Abra (log)

I agree with Abra re Cafe Nola...in addition to the poor service the food (based on 3 visits) isn't anything to write home about either.

Though not a water-view location I think the food at BI Sushi is terrific and the service is top-notch...even when they're busy at lunchtime.

On the way to the Pub you'll pass Doc's.  Keep on walking.

Someone else I know mentioned Doc's saying it was OK... why keep walking? Am I missing something?

-Lyle

PS: And thanks for all the recommendations so far... though I am getting a sense that there are not that many places near the ferry dock on Bainbridge.

Sitting on the fence between gourmet and gourmand, I am probably leaning to the right...

Lyle P.

Redwood City, CA

*sigh* The Harbor House used to be a lovely secret, but since they've built those condos Right On Top Of It, it's always crowded.

However, it's a fun place, rain or shine, right on the marina with Seattle Faaaaaar in the distance. You can get there by walking through the park, too, which is nice - as you go uphill from the ferry, turn right at the drive that leads back down the hill, to some condos. At the bottom of the hill, before the condos, turn right onto the footpath. Continue behind the boatyard, over the footbridge, and through the park. You'll have to come out on the street at the other end of the park, by the church, then turn left and walk to the bottom of that hill, to the end, then turn right and go a little uphill, past Pegasus Coffee (very nice), and the Marina buildings. Turn left at the Harbor House parking lot. If you have time, go a little further past Harbor House to inspect the garden of that little house just up the road - it's quite amazing in summer.

“"When you wake up in the morning, Pooh," said Piglet at last, "what's the first thing you say to yourself?"

"What's for breakfast?" said Pooh. "What do you say, Piglet?"

"I say, I wonder what's going to happen exciting today?" said Piglet.

Pooh nodded thoughtfully.

"It's the same thing," he said.”

Harbour Pub looks great (www.harbourpub.com). I'll have to give it a try.

You're right, Doc's doesn't seem to have much info available (www.docsgrill.com).

I guess I'll keep walking... :wink:

Thanks.

Lyle P.

Redwood City, CA

Doc's is generic yuck. They've turned over three times in as many years, which is really too bad since they have the best deck in town. It's only the food that's disappointing.

BI Sushi is indeed good, although expensive. We have a new Japanese place, Shima, that was excellent on our first and only visit a week or so ago. It's also not on the water, but a nice place to try if you have time.

Lala, you might be interested to know that it's the Pub's owners that built those condos.

In practice about 85% of all the restaurants on the island are within walking distance of the ferry. It's just that we don't have a huge number of restaurants.

Really? That's too bad... well, to my mind, it's too bad that those condos are even there. I used to go to the Harbor House fairly often - it gave the illusion of being out in the "wilds", with no neighbors. Sometimes when you're on the deck in the summer now, you get several types of music coming down from the condos, competing with the music at the pub, which to my taste is a bit distracting. Heck, I can get that at home on my own deck with my neighbors!

Still, it is lovely to go there... :smile:

“"When you wake up in the morning, Pooh," said Piglet at last, "what's the first thing you say to yourself?"

"What's for breakfast?" said Pooh. "What do you say, Piglet?"

"I say, I wonder what's going to happen exciting today?" said Piglet.

Pooh nodded thoughtfully.

"It's the same thing," he said.”