• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Predictions for 2005-2010

PurpleDingo99

I don't think anyone has looked at it as a business model. There's got to be a marketable product that you can demonstrate in order to gain investment, and those products can't exist without the industry to create them. I don't think we'll see these ideas brought to fruition until a major manufacturer finds that the ideas will create sustainable profit. The eating habits that America maintains determine the market, not the other way around. I'm genuinely hopeful that Culinary professionals (myself included) can find a means of selling these ideas to the masses. The problem that has to be overcome is the "gross" factor, but generally speaking, people who are willing to try alternative foodstuffs seem to be what eGullet is comprised of. No, I don't have a finished recipe for anything calling for alternative foodstuffs yet, but it's been a back burner idea of mine for a long time. I'll have to do more R&D, and if I find something that is delicious and using one of these alternative ideas, this forum will be the first place I come to pass on the information...

If more Chefs and Gourmandes look in this direction, we can move the issue to the table.

pinche typos.

Edited by ChefDanBrown (log)
"It is just as absurd to exact excellent cooking from a chef whom one provides with defective or scanty goods, as to hope to obtain wine from a bottled decoction of logwood." -Escoffier

jhlurie, I seriously think Vanilla-Corn would be a great ice cream!

As for trends, the next new "make America not so fat" craze will have a big influence. Please oh please bring back pasta and grains-based diets. I want my options to be along those lines next time half our citizens get roped into a new-fangled fad diet. I'm betting organic foods will continue to grow and as awareness and consumer demand increases, you'll see it as an option in a lot of food categories. I can imagine a Lay's Organic Potato Chip very easily actually. Heritage Meats" may become popular as more and more people see them on the menus at top restaurants. People are going to start asking their butchers for Gloucestershire Old Spot pork belly and rib-eyes from Highlander beef. I'd love to walk into Irvine Ranch Market here in Newport Beach and be able to have a selection of breeds in the case.

Edited by SiseFromm (log)

R. Jason Coulston

jason@popcling.com