• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Sally Ling of Fort Lee

Hank

My wife and I were invited to dinner at this restaurant on Thursday evening and we truly scratched our heads why we had never been there even though it is very close to home. Our comments to each other on the way out was "Thank Gd for China 46." What a world of difference. So, this brings me back to the same question every time we go to China 46. On a Thursday evening at 7:30 Sally Ling was packed with hardly an empty table and on Saturday evening at the same hour China 46 was almost empty. Four banquets and our table of two. What a terrible shame as we had once again a fabulous meal.

Hank

Okay, so WHY? Is it their location? Not enough advertising? Decor? I'm completely with you, Hank...and it's not like there's a lack of word of mouth via eGullet!! :laugh:

Separate of how great the food is, I live about 15 minutes south of C46 and each time I go I'm reminded of what a ridiculously quick and easy ride it is, which is another reason why I keep going back--and dragging friends with me! I even (GASP) got a friend who lives in NYC (and has a car) to meet me and he was surprised to see how easy it was to get there off of the GWB. For those of you living further north in Bergen, what keeps you from going to Ridgefield Park? Traffic? Something better closer to you? Out of sight, out of mind?

"I'm not eating it...my tongue is just looking at it!" --My then-3.5 year-old niece, who was NOT eating a piece of gum

"Wow--this is a fancy restaurant! They keep bringing us more water and we didn't even ask for it!" --My 5.75 year-old niece, about Bread Bar

"He's jumped the flounder, as you might say."

Yeah, I was not particularly impressed with the place. For Americanized fancy chinese, I'd much rather go to a place like Mr. Chu or Bill and Harry in the East Hanover/RT10 area.

Actually, I'd kill for a place like Mr. Chu or Bill and Harry around here. Peking Duck House in Closter and Kuma in Englewood (they also have a Paramus location) also does a decent job with that kind of food, and I liked the two restaurants the one or two times we ate there, but for some reason we never went back.

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

It's nice that we like C46 and all, but if you title a thread about Sally Ling, talk about Sally Ling, OK?

For what it's worth, we went to Sally Ling's once or twice when we lived in Fort Lee. Fancy, good food, but overpriced and Americanized.

Rachel, I thought that I had said a a mouthful about Sally Ling when I said "Thank Gd for China 46." If you want me to elaborate then I will gladly do so.

Every dish that we had was tasteless, some very greasy, others overly salty, others that were supposed to be spicy were not, and yes, as you so aptly put it,"Americanized".

Service was beyond fast. We asked our waiter to please slow down.

Since I did not pay I cannot comment on the price.

As for the amount of people that were there I would have to guess that they have a very good location, (walking distance for many) and I would also have to guess that a lot of people have not a clue as to what real Chinese food tastes like or China 46 would have lines around the block. When I see diners drowning their food in that horribly sweet duck sauce (as Chinese as Borcht) I am amazed. Please tell me what they are tasting when they cover their food in it. The same goes for the hot mustard. My wife and I have just come back from 4 weeks in South East Asia. We never, ever saw any duck sauce or mustard on any table nor could you order any as some Americans at another table tried to do. They did serve different types of Soy and Chili sauces that complemented the different dishes we were served and were they ever delicious.

Please, I am not trying to say that all Chinese restaurants have to be 100% authentic but why can't they serve different tastes, some innovation, originality and character to their dishes. Why do so many dishes taste the same as the one before or after it. And yes, some spice, please. In my opinion China 46 comes very close and that is why this is the only Chinese restaurant in my area that will get my money. You asked me to talk about Sally Ling. OK. Forget about it pal, I don't have a kind thing to say about them or others in Fort Lee, Englewood, etc.

Hank

I agree that if I HAD to have Americanized Chinese food, I would choose Mr. Chu or Harry/David. They pay attention to their food.

Actually, C46's menu ---(not the 'authentic' one ---- probably has good American/Chinese food. But, I've never really looked at that part of the menu!

About C46's decor. I can see why people might pass it by while driving by, but I find the atmosphere inside very welcoming. Homey, warm, and inviting. I like the art work, and especialy like the artifacts in the large room on the left. Of course, Cecil and his wife and staff help with the welcoming warmth, but physically I love the interior.

Why do places like Sally Ling thrive while ones like C46 struggle?

Sure, decor and location are key. C46 looks like a truck stop. Then again, the fact that its in that place, with it's low rent, helps keep the prices down where we like them.

But the other part of it goes beyond mere location or decor. Remember that C46 has also gotten good press up the wazzoo--fantastic newspaper reviews, as well as steady coverage here. Sally Ling has never had that.

But on some level people LIKE to get rooked. They want to walk into a place where things look all pretty, they are charged too much, the menus are all glossy and corporate, etc.

People Am Dumb. :biggrin:

Please, I am not trying to say that all Chinese restaurants have to be 100% authentic but why can't they serve different tastes, some innovation, originality and character to their dishes. Why do so many dishes taste the same as the one before or after it. And yes, some spice, please. In my opinion China 46 comes very close and that is why this is the only Chinese restaurant in my area that will get my money. You asked me to talk about Sally Ling. OK. Forget about it pal, I don't have a kind thing to say about them or others in Fort Lee, Englewood, etc.

To be fair (and Jason has championed this place before), Silver Pond in Fort Lee is quite good too. So C46 is not operating in a TOTAL vacuum.

I suppose we could lobby Rachel to change this topic title to "Why Does Sally Ling Suck?", so we can feel guilt free about how hard it's been to say anything else about it. :wink:

I've actually only eaten there once though, and that was a number of years back. The preparation was good, if boring. I couldn't muster the energy to hate it, but I had very little desire to return.

Jon Lurie, aka "jhlurie"

Sally Ling thrives because it is in a killer location -- that strip mall is one of the busiest in all of Fort Lee -- it is literally a minute off the GW bridge and is in the busiest business zone in the entire town. I have no doubt if China 46 was in the same spot or even in Silver Pond's spot on Main Street it would be doing GANGBUSTERS business.

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Yes, Jason but it's a complex issue. If C46 (or whatever it was called if it moved) was in that location, the rent would be huge. Consequently the price increase would be huge. Consequently people would expect a shiny decor and a certain atmosphere. While the food at C46 is no doubt worth paying more, it could be argued that Cecil's current situation is part of what allows him such a free hand. Once you start building those obligations to be TRENDY, his core of local Chinese families probably start abandoning him, and his main justification for being so authentic goes out the window.

Grr. Maybe this topic title SHOULD be changed. To something like "Why can't authentic Chinese Food survive New Jersey?" or maybe "Battle Royale: Sally Ling v. China 46". :smile:

Jon Lurie, aka "jhlurie"

Well, remember that prior to China 46, Cecil owned the space in the strip mall across the street from Whole Foods when it was Beijing Duck House, which just so happens to be another Shanghainese restaurant now, John's Shanghai. So clearly that equation did not work for him, for whatever reason, although I think it was related to his relationship with his partners, as I recall from a conversation with him about it.

John's Shanghai doesn't seem to do much business either.

Yeah, but 3 years later, its still open, though. And the rents there have to be higher.