• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Englewood Diner

Jason Perlow

On a lark, Rachel and I went to the Englewood diner around noontime, craving a traditional diner breakfast, and the place did not disappoint, although the place was packed solid and it took about a half an hour for us to get our food. The eggs were perfectly cooked, the bacon was thick, crispy and smoky, the sausage was juicy and rachel's banana pancakes were fluffy and tasty. Home fries were good but needed to be burned more (nobody really seems to be able to burn them to my satisfaction). Coffee was good fresh diner Joe, and it was being poured liberally.

I realize its hard to get excited about the local diner, but given that we have so many LOUSY diners in the area (The Tenafly diner is absolutely HORRID) and people are lining up at the local IHOP in droves (we couldn't even get in there today) a diner that does a solid breakfast on a Sunday morning is a great thing to have. I'm looking forward to trying their club sandwiches and their burgers and other stuff. I really don't know what to say other than the fact that the place looks and smells like a retro diner SHOULD be.

The Englewood Diner was apparently bought by a Dominican couple, Andres and Judi two years ago, and it looks like they've done a very good job of keeping the place up and getting customers in there. A packed diner is always a very good sign -- these guys bake all their own cakes and pies on premises -- I saw several coming out of the kitchen while I was eating. They also have a full ice cream/soda jerk type setup. The owner told me his kitchen is very small so he has no place to keep any inventory, and thus they are pretty much forced into making everything fresh from scratch and selling out everything they cook each day, and getting deliveries of their provisions on a daily basis.

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

About 1/2 mile south, Jackson Hole does an equally good breakfast. They are also packed on weekends. Their home fries are to die for! The only better breakfast I've had is at the Egg Platter on Crooks Avenue in Paterson.

About 1/2 mile south, Jackson Hole does an equally good breakfast.  They are also packed on weekends.  Their home fries are to die for!  The only better breakfast I've had is at the Egg Platter on Crooks Avenue in Paterson.

I've heard their breakfasts are good, but I've never had them there. Their Burgers are huge but the style is not to my liking.

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

You New Jersey-ites are so lucky to have so many good diners in your state. I saw Al Roker's diner special on The Food Network yesterday and I was drooling. Your thoughts on Mastoris Diner in Bordentown or the Elgin in Camden?

I love cooking with wine. Sometimes I even put it in the food.

You New Jersey-ites are so lucky to have so many good diners in your state. I saw Al Roker's diner special on The Food Network yesterday and I was drooling. Your thoughts on Mastoris Diner in Bordentown or the Elgin in Camden?

Diners are OK for breakfast or burgers, but let's not get carried away and think they are great food; and as you may be hearing, most of these diners are awful...

P.S. Where are you from?

Northern Virginia, just outside Washington. We have sucky diners. The Tastee 29 is too scary looking to go inside.

Don't know if you are near Arlington, but the Washington Post gave Bob & Edith's on Columbia Pike a Readers Choice award. Ever been? Washington Poist Article

Bob and Ediths used to be a favorite of JHLurie and mine when we were undergrads at American University.