• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Donuts in Lakewood

I was out doing some things in Lakewood when i saw a HUGE donut sign on gravely lake rd. I stopped in but did not get anything...the donuts were the size of dinner plates ...some of them. As it turns out this place has been there since the 50's the girl told me all the donuts are all home made. I will go back when i feel like donuts but if anyone has been there or knows of this place....let me know what you think.

It was tiny but the donuts were the biggest i have ever seen....and they had toppings like strawberry and orange...and even marionberry.

Everything look very fresh.

If its good..i will be thrilled to find some good donuts down here in the south sound.

I will let you know what i think when i get to try them.

are you sure you weren't dreaming?

HAHAHA!!! Thats SOOO funny!

Nope! I am NOT dreaming !!! Its there and i saw those donuts with my own eyes!!

I about fell over when i did!!! I dont have a camera or i would have taken a picture...but its real.

Surely someone from the area knows about this place....there must be SOMEONE here on egullet that does.

I guess we will find out.

Thanks for the laugh!

OK...more on the donuts.....

I went back there to make sure i was not dreaming about the size of them.

And... i was wrong....they weren't the size of dinner plates but about 2/3 the size.

These dounts are all hand made so the sizes vary greatly. The raised yeast were HUGE whilst the cake were normal size. What was REALLY HUGE was the danish style rolls.

The donuts are .65 and i didnt get the price of a dozen. But i will tell you that by the time i had ordered 4 of them the donut box(the size used to pack a dozen donuts) was full.

I got 4 raised yeast topped with strawberry, bannana.... and chocolate....and of course i could NOT resist the BIGGEST maple bar i have EVER seen.

I also got 2 cake both vanilla...one topped with chocolate frosting and crumb...and then a cin/sugar.

I have to say...they were ALL excellent!...very VERY fresh and light and quite tasty. They are so big i could not finish a whole on in one sitting.

I was looking for just such a place...and i stumbled on it purely by accident.

Ask and ye shall recieve!

I would say that from what i have tasted so far.....i dont miss Top Pot at all.

Dont get me wrong....Top Pot is great...but i now have a local substitute thats VERY good.

If you are in the area....try it....love to know what you think.

• 2 weeks later...

I finally got to the shop. I have driven past it many times without ever giving it a thought. I tried the cake and the french cruller. Both had different qualities that I liked very much. The cake was not overly sweet but sweet enough. The cruller was greasy and sweet but not cloying. 20 more donuts to try. Thanks OTB for the heads up. WL

I finally got to the shop.  I have driven past it many times without ever giving it a thought.  I tried the cake and the french cruller.  Both had different qualities that I liked very much.  The cake was not overly sweet but sweet enough.  The cruller was greasy and sweet but not cloying.  20 more donuts to try.  Thanks OTB for the heads up.  WL

Yeah......a pretty good substitute for Top Pot I think. At least there is an alternative to the supermarket donuts. If you like maple bars...try one of theirs...they are great !! AND ! so big i had to eat the one i had half at a time.

I think I'll have to give this place a shot. It's not far from my office and I bet my co-workers would be delighted if I showed up with a box of donuts that are (nearly) as big as their heads.

A palate, like a mind, works better with exposure and education and is a product of its environment.

-- Frank Bruni