• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

wusthof santoku

NickV

This was my favorite knife for a while, being lighter and thinner than what I was used to at the time. One "trick" I have with it is when mincing herbs or garlic, I alternate pivoting on the heel of the knife with the tip, sort of like a mezzaluna, rather than just the point.

• 6 months later...

I bought a MAC Santuko back in November & I love this knife. It's light & cuts onions, potatoes & anything else like butter. Now, I have never had a "good" knife before so you'll excuse my sheer joy at being able to barely touch the knife to an onion & have it slice clean through. Now I cry because it's just so damn easy to dice onions! And I'm such a weinerhead because I store like it's the holy grail & will let NO ONE touch it.

Rock is dead. Long live paper & scissors!

I've had a Henckels 5-star santoku (no scalloped / granton / whatever sides) for almost 2 years. I loved this knife and used it all the time until recently, when I got a 10" Henckels 5-star chef's. Now the santoku is in a drawer, perhaps I'll pull it out again when the novelty wears off on the new knife. Perhaps not.

I almost bought a 10" Shun (the D-shape, it's like it was moulded from my hand), but I up getting the Henckels for half the price. No regrets. BTW we also have an 8" 4-star in the kitchen that my wife uses, and there is a humongous difference in feel between 4- and 5-star.

I don't like Globals myself, the handles feel weird. I actually prefer the heavier "European" knife feel in my hand and since I'm only a home cook and don't use my knife 10+ hours a day, weight fatigue is not a real issue.

I have a 9 inch Wusthof grand prix cooks knife and I love it - great balance and feel. My brother uses his Wusthof santoku and really likes it - I hate it though. It feels flimsy and the length too short and gimmicky. I find myself trying it out - but switching back to the cook's knife.

I think people with smaller hands and women like the santoku becuase of the lightness - but being the clumsy handed clod that I am - I need something with a heavier feel.