• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Heriyali Kebab

Suvir Saran

Hariyaali Kababs as far as I know, are made from a mint and cilantro marinade.  It is traditionally grilled in the tandoor.  My guess is it is from the north.  I will call some tandoori chef friends and ask if they think otherwise.  The word Hariyaali in hindi means green.  I make them at home for parties in our home tandoor with mint and cilantro and chicken breasts.  I have also made them with chicken wings.  But personally find the flavor get heightened with chicken breasts.  

Will see if I can search for a recipe in my data base.  Or will write one for you.  I end up making marinades just by sight and mood.  A lot of Indian cooking is very of the moment and most of our recipes are dictated by who makes them and when.

Curious to know when the review came in NY TImes.  As far as  I know, Eric Asimov and William Grimes review restaurants.  Who is this other writer?  Maybe you are thinking of another paper?  I remember many months ago, you and I had chatted about this restaurant.  

I am glad it is still good.

Suvir... it was a New Jersey section Review.  The Times doesn't allow people in New York to see the New Jersey reviews.  They don't archive them on the NYT website.  They disappear into the mists of time except when posted on poster-board with big blow-ups in the lobbies of restaurants who get a good review.

Asimov and Grimes don't "bother" with Jersey.  The review was done by a gentleman named David Corcoran, who is usally dead-on in his reactions.

More

here and here.

Heck, I'm not even from Jersey originally.  But when I lived in NY I would have appreciated a way to read NJ restaurant reviews.

Jon Lurie, aka "jhlurie"

In case you guys are wondering about the nature of the topic, I asked Suvir in the initial message (which we lost due to server issues) if he knew how to make Heryali kebabs, which are served at Kinara in Edgewater, NJ, which was reviewed by David Corcoran of the New York times. These are chicken wings cooked in tandoor in a cilantro/mint dry marinade, so to speak.

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

Jason-

Here is the recipe for you.  Remember it is all approximation.  I have not yet reached my poultry section for the cook book, so the recipes are not tested.

Hariyaali Kabab

2 pounds chicken wings, washed and excess fat removed

For Marinade:

2 tablespoons canola oil

3 tablespoons garlic paste

3 tablespoons ginger paste

1 tablespoon toasted chickpea flour

1 teaspoon garam masala powder

1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper

1/2 teaspoon white pepper powder

1/2 teaspoon mace powder

1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar

1/4 cup sour cream

salt to taste

2-4 tablespoons store bought mint chutney

2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh mint leaves

2 tablespoons finely chopped cilantro leaves

1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and finely minced

1 inch fresh ginger root, very finely minced

1. Mix all the above ingredients nicely.

2. Add the wings to this mix and marinade for 2 hours.

3. Grill in the Tandoor or your outdoor grill.  Using the canola oil to baste the chicken if you are using a grill.  You can also bake in the oven at 375?F for 10-15 minutes.  

Also, restaurants often have t he chicken marinading for hours and at other times for not even 20 minutes.  2-3 hours of marination is usually good enough.  

You can make your own mint - cilantro chutney and ginger - garlic pastes, but it is fine to buy them from an Indian store.  

Hope you enjoy making the recipe.

• 5 months later...

Not yet. But when the kitchen is done in a few weeks I'll probably make some for a party.

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host