• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Tap Tap

ned

I found myself in Miaim Beach last weekend hunting around for some food that wasn't produced by a hotel kitchen and stumbled upon Tap Tap. It was marvelous. Best mojito I've ever had, and it was made with Barbancourt's. Followed that with conch salad, conch fritters, fried plantains, these little fried got chunks I can't remember the name of and then grilled goat with rice and beans, the rice and beans seasoned with clove and nutmeg. Alongside all this is a homemade spice served in little metal cups. cabbage, minced scotch bonnet peppers, white vinegar, sour orange juice and salt. Fiery and great throughout. Also pumpkin soup, then more goat this time in a stew. I've a fondness for goat and it's not so easy to find in the U.S. so forgive the focus of my ordering. And all along is playing live Haitian music. Great place. Ate there the first night of our short stay and and decided we couldn't go wrong returning the second night.

You shouldn't eat grouse and woodcock, venison, a quail and dove pate, abalone and oysters, caviar, calf sweetbreads, kidneys, liver, and ducks all during the same week with several cases of wine. That's a health tip.

Jim Harrison from "Off to the Side"

Ned, you made Tap Tap sound so incredibly appealing that I just had to do a little Googling on my own to 'complete the experience'!

And then I read this ... and those pictures were wonderfully colorful and .. and ... :biggrin:

Beyond its excellent menu, in terms of its eventual legacy, Tap Tap is a widely-cherished symbol of Haitian culture that generates a lot of pride in the local Haitian community. “I’m very proud of this place and I support it because it’s the only place on South Beach that represents my culture,” says real estate agent Natascha Magliore, a regular weekly customer. “And it’s a very good impression, a very realistic one. The food, the music, the art – it’s all very Haitian.”

Thanks, Ned, for the 'lead'!!

Melissa Goodman aka "Gifted Gourmet"

I'm glad you had a good experience. I live in Miami and my 2 visits have been disappointing. Both times I waited at the bar for a table when there were plenty available. Both times our waiter was rude and aloof. Once he was no where to be found when we needed our drinks refreshed. It's a shame because I like the food and the decor. You didn't mention anything about the service. How was it on your visits?

We had a phenomenal service experience. Just by chance we palled up with the manager on entry. . . can't say how it would have been otherwise except to say that the manager is new in the last year or so, is aware that there have been service issues in the past and is eager to resolve them. If your visit was more than a year ago I encourage you to try again.

You shouldn't eat grouse and woodcock, venison, a quail and dove pate, abalone and oysters, caviar, calf sweetbreads, kidneys, liver, and ducks all during the same week with several cases of wine. That's a health tip.

Jim Harrison from "Off to the Side"

Extremely good Haitian food can be had at Chez Rosie at 7015 Biscayne Blvd-coupla picnic tables out front so you can say hi to the hookers, or go to Dogma after you order for a beer, and hang with the hip people who eat hot dogs for lunch. I recommend the fried goat (tasso) or the stewed or fried chicken. Lunch special is $3.50(!), and includes salad and rice and beans. Very sullen girl behind the bullet-proof glass will take your order, and it WILL take 15-20 minutes, but you will defimitely get your money's worth. Get that (cheap) beer at Dogma and wait it out. Much better than SoBe, and the Chef can cook!

Edited by Miami Danny (log)