• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Lawrenceville Inn

squashblossom

If you haven't been to the Lawrenceville Inn on rt. 206 in Lawrenceville, you should get in your car and go right now.

I ate dinner there on saturday and had to go back for lunch today. The gaspatcho is to die for- it comes in a bowl (obviously) half of the gaspatcho is green, half is red and where they meet is a thick line of finely diced vegetables. The green half is green tomato, cucumber, cilanto; and the red half is red tomato and really spicy. Eaten individually they are interesting takes on gazpatcho- mixed together they are perfect! But go quick because the hostess told me the gazpatcho (like the rest of the menu) changes often. Before this batch, she said it was clear!?!

My main course of red snapper with mango salsa and avacado butter with roasted fingerling potatoes was delicious and my dining companion's Porkloin wiith sweet and sour peaches and vegetable dumplings was awesome. Portion size was perfect- filling, but not so much that you couldn't have dessert. All the desserts sounded excellent, but I opted for the fresh blueberry crumbcake with carmelized blueberry sauce and lemon whipped cream. (I had it again today- well blueberries are going out of season)

oh my god- I forgot to mention the housemade mozzarella.

get in the car we're going....

Squashblossom

Rosie, any info on who the chef is now? I got tired of the revolving door and the inconsistancy in the first months, and decided to just hold off on a visit until things got settled down a bit..perhaps its time to try again.

SB, how was the service? I've been plagued by really young waiters with little interpersonal skills, let alone service skills.

• 4 months later...

Food Alert!

Is Chef Scott Anderson creating some of the most imaginative food in NJ?

Is this fine BYO under the radar?

IMHO, yes to both questions.

Last evening, Saturday, my wife, I and two friends had a fine night of food and wine.

We all did the "not so classic menu" at $78 per person. There is also a "classic menu" at $58 and an a la carte menu.

The menu we had was: Baby romaine caesar with tempura anchovy, queso fresco croutons and broken dressing; nantucket bay scallops with celery root puree and mousseron mushrooms; seared skate wing with salsify, brussel sprouts, juliened apples and beurre noisette (on the a la carte menu but one of our guests expressed interset in trying it); langoustine on a bed of sheeps milk yogurt, julienned apples, roasted salsify, curry oil and topped with a seared shaving of pancetta (also not on the menu but Scott wanted us to try it, it was Spectacular!); european turbot with pumkin puree, tokyo turnips and fried cilantro and a cilantro oil; seared foie gras with poached quince with mulled wine sorbet; sweet chili glazed duck with honshimeji mushrooms, soybeans and a rilette gateau; a trio of artisinal cheese (a bleu, epoisse and cheddar) (Scott did a lovely dijon mustard tuille with the cheddar that was wonderful); dessert was a panna cotta with coconut tuiles, mango coulis and guava.

The wines from my cellar:

N. Joly Coulee de Serrant (Chenin Blanc) 1998 with the first couple of courses

Brocard Meursault 1998 with the next few courses

Bertagna Clos St Denis 1993 with the Turbot and Foie Gras

Ch. Musar 1994 (Lebanon) with the duck

Ch Peby Faugere 1998 with the duck and cheese course

Alois Kracher Nouvelle Vague TBA 1999 with the panna cotta.

Excellent meal!

Here is the web site and Scott changes the menus regularly and the web site usually is not updated as fast as he changes them.

http://www.lawrencevilleinn.com/

Phil

I have never met a miserly wine lover

Thank you Phil, I've been talking about this place for months! I have eaten there probably 15 or so times and never have had a bad experience. The chef is quite imaginative but also realizes the lackluster of being too imaginative in this part of N.J.. How was the service? I agree with KimWB in saying that the staff is quite young but they are much better than a year ago.

• 1 month later...

After my most recent comments here ( which I stand by) http://forums.egullet.org/index.php?showto...l=lawrenceville, I would be remiss to not report that I had a wonderful meal there this evening. Service was wonderful, and while there were a few misses ( foie gras on menu was foie gras terrine, chocolate soufle w/ creme anglaise had a pathetic artistic dribble of anglaise , and was reallymore molten cake than eggy souflee...) the food has imroved, Anderson has found his sea legs, and the service was charming, personable and professional..a minor plate mix up for appetizers, but mature, attentive...great meal. They sky rocketed from a 4 to a solid 8 in my book, based on this one meal.

Kim,

Glad you found everything better. From a 4 to an 8 ain't all bad. A few things I always keep in mind about The Lawrenceville Inn and Scott: We are in Central NJ; a country house with small rooms and two floors for staff to negotiate; a tiny kitchen working space in comparison to Rats/Ryland/Nicholas/Doris and Ed's/ Fromagerie/ Perryville Inn/Harvest Moon/ Bernards Inn(to name a few I consider quite good in Central NJ), etc; a small kitchen staff compared to the previous list; and lastly BYOB. The owners, Scott, and the staff seem very committed to fine dining in a casual/comfortable and yet elegant space. They do a very commendable job. I will always recommend them when asked.

All of the above, imho.

Phil

Edited by Phil Ward (log)
I have never met a miserly wine lover

Kim WB I'm glad you finally had an enjoyable meal at the Lawrenceville Inn. I still eat there quite often and find it very enjoyable and knowledgeable. I do agree with Phil in saying that with the size of the kitchen and the staff the product presented is quite astonishing. Hope to see you there.

• 6 months later...

oy, such inconsistancy. Went just after the 4th of July., and had a serviceable salad,and a good tuna special ...nothing earth shattering, seared tuan w/snow peas) service was much imporved. Husband's meal was jsut ok..lamb chops and I think perhaps a soup,,don't recall.

Went again last nite. The Good news is, the service is still improved. but, inedible foie gras...overcooked, miniscule portion, w/ blueberry glomp and undercooked grilled peaches, undressedbaby greens..really, really bad. Followed by overcooked scallops, with three scallops with sauce, three with none...dried out chanterelles, over creamed corn. My husband had a tuna starter...followed by anan embarrassingly small, moderate quality NZ sirloin.

Coconut flan was v. good, Bent spoon mango IC ( whcih I think was sorbet) was also a winner..but there is no value here..2apps, 2entrees, 1 dessert, two coffees..cute but not elegant surroundings, competent but not polished service....$160

It's too inconsistant, and has been a yo yo like this since it opens..It was a 4, went to an 8, but its batting under 500 for me, I'm taking it off my list.

I don't think that 90% of the public follow chefs or their movements..and while I understand why you clarified who is no longer the chef ( and I've heard wonderful things recently about the RI, I'm going to try to get reso for after labor Day) and his departure explains the terrible food, its still sad to see a place with potential falter and start and falter and start...most people won't relate it to the chef, but rather just say the restaurant is inconsistant, and eventually give up on it.

oy, such inconsistancy. Went just after the 4th of July., and had a serviceable salad,and a  good tuna special ...nothing earth shattering, seared tuan w/snow peas) service was much imporved. Husband's meal was jsut ok..lamb chops and I think perhaps a soup,,don't recall. 

Went again last nite. The Good news is, the service is still improved. but, inedible foie gras...overcooked, miniscule portion, w/ blueberry glomp and undercooked grilled peaches, undressedbaby greens..really, really bad. Followed by overcooked scallops, with three scallops with sauce, three with none...dried out chanterelles, over creamed corn.  My husband had a tuna starter...followed by anan embarrassingly small, moderate quality  NZ sirloin. 

Coconut flan was v. good, Bent spoon mango IC ( whcih I think was sorbet) was also a winner..but there is no value here..2apps, 2entrees, 1 dessert, two coffees..cute but not elegant surroundings, competent but not polished service....$160

It's too inconsistant, and has been a yo yo like this since it opens..It was a 4, went to an 8, but its batting under 500 for me, I'm taking it off my list.

My wife and I went on Friday night. We found not only the service but the food much improved. We have dined there for each of the different chefs and the new chef is the best so far. We had the tasting menu which started with an amuse bouche of country duck pate with a plum compote. The pate was firm but not too dry. This was followed by a tuna tataki with shitaki mushrooms. The tuna was seared on one side and raw on the other, perfect. A tomato gazpacho followed with heirloom tomatoes with pesto. I am particular about gazpacho and only call it gazpacho when it is bread based which this was not. This was really a chilled tomato soup but it was tasty. The scallop with creamed corn and chanterelles had a perfectly seared scallop atop a bed of corn with I would not call creamed but was delicious none-the-less. The Griggstown chicken with sage gnocchi and seared peaches was excellent with gnocchi that melted in your mouth, juicy chicken and evenly cooked peaches that were still firm but cooked through. The chimichurri marinated strip steak was cooked medium and served with a garlic aioli. The two dessert courses were a cheese course, composed of Pierre Robert and a mascarpone sorbet with a balsamic reduction, and a chocolate souffle. Perhaps the new chef and his staff needed some time to get settled but I think they on a roll now.

Well, we certainly had different experiences only days apart. You were able to recall your meal with very impressive detail, I'm afraid mine was less memorable.

What other restaurants do you enjoy in the area?

Edited by Kim WB (log)

Hi Kim,

Apparently the only thing consistent about the Lawrenceville Inn is its inconsistency :)

In the greater Princeton area we like Chamber's Walk and Palace of Asia in Lawrenceville, Theresa's and Mediterra in Princeton, Tastebuds and Marsha Brown in New Hope, Siam in Lambertville, Cafe Marcella in Washington Crossing, Brothers Moon in Hopewell and Rats in Hamilton. We also love the Ryland Inn but that is in a class by itself.

What are your favorites?

Kevin

What other restaurants do you enjoy in the area?

where is cafe marcella? I like Siam, Swan Bar,,Deanna's ota-ya and Inn at the hawke in Lambertville, I had a fantastic meal at the Stockton Inn on Friday night, that's two in a row. In Princeton I like Ferry House much of the time but not all of the time, I'm not a Teresa's fan, but pasta is not a favorite. I like Mediterra, but there is a staleness there..nothing seems to change, ever.

I like Rat's in Hamilton, too. I used to go at least once a month, but haven't gone all summer..I'm overdue.

I am working in New brunswick these days, and find myself working my way through the restos there, for lunch.

• 1 month later...

well Kim I know we have had our differences about this place but I recently returned to dine after a very long business trip and was utterly disappointed. Service young and mediocre as usual but the food, if I might be as bold, was horrible. Zero thought through dishes!!!! Basically the same sh9t that has been put in front of our face in Princeton for years. Sorry to say but Imiss the last chef. Anyway I'm never going back and that is quite sad since I live a stones throw away. Sadly this is the very reason Princeton gets such a horrible rep for its food quality.

• 4 weeks later...
well Kim I know we have had our differences about this place but I recently returned to dine after a very long business trip and was utterly disappointed. Service young and mediocre as usual but the food, if I might be as bold, was horrible. Zero thought through dishes!!!! Basically the same sh9t that has been put in front of our face in Princeton for years. Sorry to say but Imiss the last chef. Anyway I'm never going back and that is quite sad since I live a stones throw away. Sadly this is the very reason Princeton gets such a horrible rep for its food quality.

Camper why are you so quick to change your tune about this place? When Scott Anderson was there you were there biggerst supporter. Once he is gone you change your tune. Very fishy?

Let me guess Ill bet the Ryland is the greatest place in Jersey Now. I wonder if it has anything to do with the fact that Scott Anderson is back there again.

Please be honest on these e gullet forums.

I went to the L'ville Inn last week, not my choice...and had a perfectly fine meal. Because of my past history, I went very basic: a composed salad and ...jeez I'm forgetting now..trout? A fresh water fish, simply and very well prepared. Service was competent, well paced. No complaints.

• 4 weeks later...

Oh, I wish I'd read this thread before we went to the Lawrenceville Inn two weeks ago!

We get together with some friends who live in the Princeton/Newtown area on the Saturday after Thanksgiving for a meal. In years past they have come down to Philadelphia, and we've had some memorable meals at LaCroix and The Fountain. The consensus was that since two couples of the three couple group live in the Central Jersey area, it would be easier, cheaper, and safer (drinking, etc.) for us to come up, go out, and stay over.

The other two couples have been raving about the Lawrenceville Inn for awhile now - the food, the attentive service, the charming setting and we were ready to give it a try. (Acacia just down the street was delightful)

To take it in reverse order - The setting is definitely charming. Gorgeous frame house, tastefully decorated, display kitchen, and pleasant staff. We were seated in the front dining room - a nicely set table for eight (one couple has two grown children who joined us). The light level was good, and the music was not loud - I hate music in restaurants, but that is a topic for another time. We did have a window with a curtain on it into the kitchen, which didn't bother us until the end of the meal, when we all could smell the bleach that was being used to clean the kitchen. The smell was strong enough that we all commented on it.

Things moved a bit slowly, and one of the servers couldn't seem to understand that we wanted both still and sparkling water on the table. (a totally minor quibble on my part) - What I don't get is why this place or any fine dining establishment allows servers to wear rope bracelets or Livestrong bracelets or anything on their wrists when they're serving food. Every restaurant that I've worked in specified that you could only wear a watch and nothing else as jewelry. Otherwise the service was OK. Nothing special, just reasonable, mostly young, suburban service staff.

The food was just short of mediocre and that’s about the best I can say about it. The low points were the foie gras appetiser which was amazingly overcooked and the sweetbreads which were just above rare. The only high point, in my estimation, was the squash soup with the duck confit, and that was over salted. The main courses just weren’t inspired and not that well cooked though prettily presented. The venison was less than stellar although our dinner partners were in ecstasy over it (couldn't figure out why as it was mealy and kind of tasteless). Again however, the main problem was salt - there was too much of it.

I don’t want to seem too critical, but there seem to be far too many restaurants out there where the cook, because of a lack of skill and confidence uses salt and other seasonings to ‘gee up’ the flavors of food instead of letting the natural flavors come through. I know I’ve done it, in the same way I’ve overused other flavorings. It’s just starting to get old to run across the same tired tricks again and again.

Needless to say, we won’t be going back to the Lawrenceville Inn. It’s just not that good for the prices they’re charging.

Philly Francophiles