• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

[Houston] Barnaby's

Lone Star

Our little office goes to lunch at Barnaby's (604 Fairview St, Houston, Texas 77006 713.522.0106)at least once a week. It is, in my opinion the best value in town. I have never had anything there that was not absolutely delicious. The salads are served in Fiesta type mixing bowls with loads of "the good stuff". I usually get a half-order which is only six dollars. The Cobb salad is my favorite, with loads of roasted chicken, eggs, bacon and heavenly blue cheese. The Chicken Mediterranean is next on my list.

The burgers are wonderful too. They use only organic beef and grill them medium. There is the blue cheese bacon burger (my fave) , the chili burger, green chile burger, guacamole burger and a hickory burger. All served with the best fries in Houston - thin and crispy with a heavy dose of Tex-Joy seasoning. Even if we are all having salads we order a basket of the fries to share.

There are other entrees as well. The Chicken Mill Valley is my favorite - a grilled chicken breast covered with creamed spinach and provolone cheese, served with the delectable fries and a little dish of hot apples. Dr. Gales meatloaf and mashed potatoes are very good too.

We only go to the original location on Fairview, and it is charmingly eccentric and always packed. The waitstaff (especially Renee and Chris) are very lively and friendly and there is always an eclectit group of diners there.

It is one of my favorite places for lunch in Houston and I would encourage everyone to go. The amount and quality of the food there combined with the very reasonable prices make it one of the best values in town.

If you can't act fit to eat like folks, you can just set here and eat in the kitchen - Calpurnia

My son was in town a couple of months ago and we went there for lunch. I hadn't been in a long time (my loss) and I was still in my Chicken Mill Valley rut. I came this close to ordering a burger but the chicken won out in the end.

Yes, the fries are awesome. My son ordered the bleu cheese burger and he shared the fries with me. I also got a bite of the burger. There was just the right amount of cheese for me.

I have never been to the other locations as the original's charm always wins out. Could someone report on how they compare?

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

"Having spent most of my life searching for truth in the excitement of science, I am now in search of the perfectly seared foie gras without any sweet glop." Linda LaRose

• 3 months later...

My son was in town and we went to the Barnaby's on West Gray instead of our usual Fairview for some reason. I ordered the bleu cheese burger. It was all fine . . . except for the patty. I was shocked. It was overcooked and dry as a hockey puck. Another in the party ordered the hickory thing and had the same problem. Maybe the regular grill guy had that Sunday off.

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

"Having spent most of my life searching for truth in the excitement of science, I am now in search of the perfectly seared foie gras without any sweet glop." Linda LaRose

I have heard that the other locations are not as good as the original. I have never been to any other than the Fairview. I know at the Fairview location they always cook the burgers medium, unless you tell them otherwise.

My major disappointment has been with the fries latelty. They have changed them.

If you can't act fit to eat like folks, you can just set here and eat in the kitchen - Calpurnia

I've been to the ones on west gray, shepherd, Fairview, and Baby Barnaby's

Fairview is my favorite for lunch/dinner everything tastes fresher and delicious.

Baby B's next door is my favorite for breakfast...

West Gray is consistant and really good, but not quite as good as the original location.

The Shepherd location is the weakest link in the chain... the menu is the same but the taste is just kinda ehhh... mediocre. The atmosphere seems a little off as well.

-pk

edit to add: I've been dissappointed in the fries recently as well... The old ones were perfect...these current ones are like shoe strings :sad:

Edited by pkenna (log)

I did, and our server Chris told us that the supplier of the old style of fries (which were the best in town imo) had stopped producing them.

pkenna - you are right, they are like shoestring potatoes and very greasy.

Everything else is great at the Fairview location. I have never had anything there I did not like, except the Chinese chicken salad. It was a little too "peanutty" for me.

I'll bet you can't get a better salad anywhere. I really mean that. The cobb and the chopped chef salad are my favorites. I also like the Mediterranean chicken salad, but I ask to have the cilantro left off.

I have to give Niko Nikkos the best fry vote now!

Edited by Lone Star (log)