• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Anne Amie Pinot Noir

Craig Camp

I am just returned from a visit to Oregon wine country and in the 4 years since my last visit, I was very impressed by the dramatic and almost across the board increase in quality. While there were many outstanding wines some really stand out. For example the Pinot Noirs of Anne Amie combined delicious fruit with classic terroir complexity. I found the 2002 Anne Amie Willamette Pinot Noir excellent and would rate it in the 92 point range. Does anyone have tasting experience with the Anne Amie wines?

I am just returned from a visit to Oregon wine country and in the 4 years since my last visit, I was very impressed by the dramatic and almost across the board increase in quality. While there were many outstanding wines some really stand out. For example the Pinot Noirs of Anne Amie combined delicious fruit with classic terroir complexity. I found the 2002 Anne Amie Willamette Pinot Noir excellent and would rate it in the 92 point range. Does anyone have tasting experience with the Anne Amie wines?

Craig:

Sorry it took me so long to notice this thread. I've not tried the Anne Amie wines, but one of my waitstaff returned from a visit there a couple of months ago and raved to me about their unusual Port made from (I think?) Pinot Noir or some other red varietal I can't recall at the moment. Did you try any of this? I e-mailed the winery from their website to inquire about the Port and never received a response. :angry:

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

Katie, I found this about their port:

Anne Amie

Thanks! Yup -that's it! Syrah Port. Sounds intriguing but I doubt I can get it in PA :angry: My server RAVED about this, and she has a palate that I trust. Sounds quite interesting.

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

• 9 months later...

Well, I guess he really liked the wines, since I have just learned that our own Craig Camp has left Italy to become marketing director for Anne Amie. Shortly after your last visit, yes? How do you like Oregon and working with pinot? And why am I always the last to know these things? :laugh:

Mary Baker

Solid Communications

Find me on Facebook

Well, I guess he really liked the wines, since I have just learned that our own Craig Camp has left Italy to become marketing director for Anne Amie.  Shortly after your last visit, yes?  How do you like Oregon and working with pinot?  And why am I always the last to know these things?  :laugh:

Well, I was aware of this for quite some time, but left it alone. Just assumed you knew, Mary. I've tasted some of the wines while they may have been yet suffering from travel shock, and I'm leaving the rest alone. I've only had one that has had a chance to settle down -- the regular Willamette Valley bottling. Coming from a self-proclaimed domestic Pinot Noir curmudgeon, I thought that particular bottle was okay. Spicy cola flavors for those who like that in their pinot noir wines. The alcohol level was a bit amped up, and that was off-putting to me. The other two I've yet to try again are single-vineyard designates.

We cannot employ the mind to advantage when we are filled with excessive food and drink - Cicero

I am very happy to be visiting the winery in October. I have tried Raptor Ridge Pinot and was impressed. I believe it is nearby. I've not found Anne Amie in my area but have not looked hard in a while. Regards, Bill

Cooking is chemistry, baking is alchemy.

Moderator Note:

Although Craig Camp (a former host of this forum) took a job at Anne Amie, this thread was started before that time, when Craig was still in Italy and before he had been offered or accepted a position at Anne Amie. And there is more in this thread now than Craig's initial impression. Most recently, it appears as if Bill Miller will be visiting the winery and may wish to add to the thread after his visit.

We will leave the thread open.

We cannot employ the mind to advantage when we are filled with excessive food and drink - Cicero

• 4 weeks later...
Moderator Note:

Although Craig Camp (a former host of this forum) took a job at Anne Amie, this thread was started before that time, when Craig was still in Italy and before he had been offered or accepted a position at Anne Amie.  And there is more in this thread now than Craig's initial impression.  Most recently, it appears as if Bill Miller will be visiting the winery and may wish to add to the thread after his visit.

We will leave the thread open.

Brad I posted my visit under the more recent thread by Craig Camp re "Oregon Harvest Begins"

Cooking is chemistry, baking is alchemy.