• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

donegal

Alexia

Hi Natacha, welcome to the site.

I'm not familiar with the area myself but I might know someone who is. I'll see if I can get some info for you.

Thank you, Andy

P.S. I really want to change my 'member profile name' but I can't find out how through the site, would you possible know where I should look to do that?

NN

• 10 months later...

:biggrin: most of my knowledge is of the Letterkenny area. Here are some places you might try.

The Brewery in Letterkenny square. Really nice pub with well above average food, good prices and sizable portions.

The Lemon tree, Lower Main Street, Letterkenny.

The Yellow Pepper, Lower Main Street, Letterkenny. (there is some local debate about which restaraunt is the better. They are directly across the street from each other near the bottom of the town. )

Harvey's Point has a dinner/show package during the summer months. It is on the road to Donegal town heading south from Letterkenny about 30 minutes.

If you ever stay around Donegal town try St. Ernan's. We stayed there in 2002 and really the enjoyed the atmosphere and the quality of the food.

This info was good as of my last trip there in August 2005.

Hi Alexia

I spent all my summers growing up in Rathmullen and now my Mum lives in Ramelton (small town you will pass through on the way to Rathmullen-about 15-20mins drive).

It is not a very big place so the options are limited. In the town there is a restaursant called an bonnan bui sp (my gaelic is not the best). The owners are a couple, the husband Irish, the wife Brazilian. More upscale there is the dining Room at the Rathmullen House Hotel, they also have a more casual restaurant in THe cellar bar. Not far from there, there is also The Fort Royal Hotel, which also has a very nice restaurant. Both hotels are family fun and have beautiful grounds. On the way into Rathmullen there is THe Water's Edge restarant. It is right on the water, and has good food. They were doing renovations, so I'm not sure if they will be completed.

As for Pubs there is The White Hart, which is at the beginning of the Pier, it does the best pint of guinness. There are a couple others but the names escape me (I remember them by the family that runs them). Rathmulle House has a nice cellar bar with a fire place if you want to snuggle up and have a night cap.

In Ramelton, they have a great pub called the Bridge bar. They often have live music and can get very busy. Upstairs they also have a little restaurant, which looks like someone convertrd their living room. It serves very fresh seafood.

There is also a littl wine bar run by James McDaid(quite a character). It has a lot of charm. Fire places, wine by the glasses(limited) alll served with a snack of doritos!!!

In Letterkenny, see above thread.

I know I know more but am drawing a blank right now. I will get back to you when I think of more. Keep in mind that it is winter and some of the restaurants may be closed.

Hi

Me again. I just remebered the name of that pub in Rathmullen! The Beachcomber. Also, there is a great pub with a really good restaurant in the tiny town of Glen, it's rightly called "The Glen Bar". It gets pretty packed on weekends and they typically have 2 sittings for dinner. It is quite hairy drive there. Lots of typical Donegal roads. It's about 20 mins drive from Ramelton.