• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

chayote

Dejah

Hi Dejah

We normally cut chayote (hup cheong qwa / futt sau qwa) into slices or julienne it and stir-fty it plain with minced garlic (sometimes together with a couple of slices of ginger), toss in shredded carrots at other times or with slices of pork, chicken, dried shimp or egg.

Chayote is like a milder tasting, firm version of the hairy gourd (moe qwa). It's great for quick-stir fries.

Hi Dejah

We normally cut chayote (hup cheong qwa / futt sau qwa) into slices or julienne it and stir-fty it plain with minced garlic (sometimes together with a couple of slices of ginger), toss in shredded carrots at other times or with slices of pork, chicken, dried shimp or egg.

Chayote is like a milder tasting, firm version of the hairy gourd (moe qwa). It's great for quick-stir fries.

Thanks Shiewie. That's exactly how I cooked them tonight. I sliced them, added a few slices of coloured sweet peppers, couple cloves of garlic and sliced ginger.

I liked the texture, reminds me a bit of kolhrabi.

I will buy them again.

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com

Sue-On,

My mother taught me this trick: cut the chayote in half and rub the two cut sides together until you've extracted the white sappy substance. Rinse thoroughly and proceed with your recipe. We usually go with something like Shiewie's stir fry. Although in Central Java, Indonesia they make a delicious stew with coconut milk, shallots, garlic, little dried shrimp and chillies.

Edited by spaghetttti (log)

Yetty CintaS

I am spaghetttti

Sue-On,

My mother taught me this trick: cut the chayote in half and rub the two cut sides together until you've extracted the white sappy substance. Rinse thoroughly and proceed with your recipe.

Hi Yetti,

Been waiting for you to post your suggestions...especially after your incredible thread on "frightful fruits", etc. :biggrin:

Now I know how to get rid of the "slimy" feel after I peel the chayote. Thanks for the info.

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com