• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Community FoodBank

Rosie

The Community FoodBank is collecting frozen turkeys and non-perishable foods for the holiday season on Saturday, November 20 from 9 AM to 2 PM. Drop off a frozen (never thawed) turkey as well as non-perishable foods including canned vegetables, cranberry sauce, gravy, and fruit juices (no cellophane or glass) at one of their collection sites. Those who prefer to make a financial donation, allowing the food bank to buy turkeys at wholesale prices, may send their check to the Community FoodBank of New Jersey, 31 Evans Terminal Road, Hillside, N.J. 07205. Please put "turkey drive" in the memo portion of your check. You may also donate funds online toward the purchase of Thanksgiving turkeys. For information on the location of the drop off sites call 908-355-3663 or log onto http://www.njfoodbank.org.

Rosalie Saferstein, aka "Rosie"

TABLE HOPPING WITH ROSIE

I had planned to go to that Hillside address on Saturday, but today's Star Ledger gave listings for several counties in NJ, and for Essex, there is a drop-off in my own town. Much easier,------- so I will drop off 2 turkeys and a ham on Saturday and RELEASE SPACE IN MY FREEZER!! LOL!

Thanks for the info. I've been donating with the "coupons" they have in my local grocery store (they're $1, $3, or $5 and get tacked onto your food bill), but hadn't gotten off my butt to research anything about them. And, I usually don't get the December free turkey that the store gives out, b/c I don't have space for it. This is a good alternative.

Joanna G. Hurley

"Civilization means food and literature all round." -Aldous Huxley

I took the liberty of copying the paragraph that Rosie published, and emailed it to everyone at work...great way to spread the word! If YOU tell two friends...and so on...

"I'm not eating it...my tongue is just looking at it!" --My then-3.5 year-old niece, who was NOT eating a piece of gum

"Wow--this is a fancy restaurant! They keep bringing us more water and we didn't even ask for it!" --My 5.75 year-old niece, about Bread Bar

"He's jumped the flounder, as you might say."

I support them with donations year round and sometimes volunteer to help pack and distribute. Sometimes I get the impression that folks think hunger in the US only occurs in the last 6 weeks of the year...

=Mark

Give a man a fish, he eats for a Day.

Teach a man to fish, he eats for Life.

Teach a man to sell fish, he eats Steak

Most people think that these Food Banks are a handout for people too lazy to work. As a matter of fact, most of the hungry people today are working folks. But with their pay of $5.15/hr or maybe a bit higher, no health care, and the high cost of living in New Jersey, they cannot afford to eat! These are the working poor that need the food today. Please give!