• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Amarula

CMN

So...my non-drinking parents just brought me a bottle of Amarula back from their cruise. It looks sort of like Irish Cream, from what I can tell (I haven't tasted it yet). Is that what it's like? Any one have any experience/thoughts of it?

• 3 weeks later...

Some friends who were in the Peace Corps in Africa turned me on to Amarula. I love it and usually drink it on the rocks. Over ice cream is also very good. Because it is made from the fruit of the marula nut tree, it has a caramel-y, chocolately, but also fruity taste. Give it a try!

dahlsk

p.s. Thirsty Traveller has a good episode all about Amarula, if you ever see that show. He's sometimes annoying, but that episode was very interesting!

I first had it at our book group where we were prepared african foods. We started out pouring it over ice cream for dessert then decided it was pretty tasty and finished the bottle!

Practice Random Acts of Toasting