• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Gentlemans Relish....

When ever I am in Fortnams food hall stocking up my blood orange marmalade supply i always see stacks of tins of gentlemans relish. I once bought some a long time ago but i dont remember what i did with it.

Obviously people eat it...just wondering what the board thought of it. I expect it is something eaten on toast maybe for tea.

Do you like it? Is it good?

Fortnum & Mason describes Gentleman's Relish as a spiced anchovy relish so I assume it would be good on toast .. they sell it in a small porcelain pot ...now I absolutely must try it! with eggs! Thanks for mentioning something I would never have even known about!

Melissa Goodman aka "Gifted Gourmet"

Fortnum & Mason describes Gentleman's Relish as a spiced anchovy relish so I assume it would be good on toast .. they sell it in a small porcelain pot ...now I absolutely must try it! with eggs! Thanks for mentioning something I would never have even known about!

Also sold in Waitrose... probably for less

J

More Cookbooks than Sense - my new Cookbook blog!

Do try it!

it's great on toast under scrambled eggs.

Also look here: http://www.elsenham.com/patum.htm for more recipe ideas.

Edited by Naomi (log)

On one of the Two Fat Ladies shows, one of the ladies , not Clarissa, the other one, was making a sandwich which used Gentleman's relish as a spread. It was a long well stuffed sandwich which she then let sit a while, with a weight on it to flatten it.

"A fool", he said, "would have swallowed it". Samuel Johnson

Alas, now that Elsenham have taken over the product is in plastic jars, rather than the original opal glass. However festive versions pack these into ceramic, with various pretty designs, or all blck with gold lettering.

Its a salty anchovy paste. Spread thin on thin hot buttered toast.

I need some now...

It's potent stuff - you can really taste the fish and the salt - best spread very thinly indeed. Available in plastic as well as porcelain pots.

Nice tip for the Gent's relish/scrambled egg combo - I'll have to give that a go.

PS

Edinburgh